My first Video commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
magnatom said:
If your ever up here I'll give you the grand tour! :biggrin:

I'll hold you to that one Mags - and ditto if you're down in the smoke drop us a PM!

Origamist said:
IIRC, av traffic speeds in London are closer to 10mph and Glasgow closer to 20mph. Traffic congestation in London is considerably worse than in Glasgow...

Not on my commute! During the summer holidays and at weekend maybe, but I pass a lot of very slow moving traffic in the mornings and evenings.

There are pockets and often long routes of congestion in every major city. Ask anyone in Glasgow how fast the traffic is from Anniesland to the Clyde Tunnel at rush hour! :sad:

(P.S. Origamist, an assertion without a reference or a link! Your letting things slip...:biggrin::smile:)

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Not on my commute! During the summer holidays and at weekend maybe, but I pass a lot of very slow moving traffic in the mornings and evenings.

There are pockets and often long routes of congestion in every major city. Ask anyone in Glasgow how fast the traffic is from Anniesland to the Clyde Tunnel at rush hour! :sad:

(P.S. Origamist, an assertion without a reference or a link! Your letting things slip...:biggrin::smile:)

How's this - it's your local rag:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/transportpolicy/Traffic-in-Edinburgh-and-Glasgow.3471239.jp

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Tsk, tsk. The Scotsman is certainly not my local rag! :sad: (based on the east coast!)

I wonder how comparable the streets were etc!

Jeez, I get a Scotsman a Scottish reference and he still moans! How does that quote go...

"It is never hard to tell the difference between a Scotsman with a grievance, and a ray of sunshine."
:biggrin:

Mags, Glasgow does not have the same level of traffic congestion as London. You might come across very slow moving traffic on your commute, but we're talking city wide, measured at various locations.

Origamist said:
Jeez, I get a Scotsman a Scottish reference and he still moans! How does that quote go...

Mags, Glasgow does not have the same level of traffic congestion as London. You might come across very slow moving traffic on your commute, but we're talking city wide, measured at various locations.

London will certainly have wider congestion. If I take my straighter route to work it seems to be congested along nearly all of the route. Never feel the need to squeeze left of a bus or jump two cars at lights though....:sad::smile:

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
London will certainly have wider congestion. If I take my straighter route to work it seems to be congested along nearly all of the route. Never feel the need to squeeze left of a bus or jump two cars at lights though....:biggrin::sad:

That's because you're going slower than the queuing traffic - approx 4.2 mph since you got the racer and speeded up.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I think mag you option to be able to take the 'straighter route' says it all - for the majority of London commuters the straighter route is the congested route and so it the scenic route if there is the option.

Though tbh there are some people who cycle commute in London who probably don't ride as assertively as Jonny, BM, myself and others and that's down to their personal choice and comfort levels -as long as assertiveness is smartly and safely done to me it's not a problem- I don't think it can be wise to compare two completely different cities for cycling as the conditions and hazards are sometimes different - for example- one day's commute can not be comparable to another days commute for the same person in the same city due to differing conditions -ie weather and other road users.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
ttcycle said:
we should do a commuter swap

What a great idea, don't let C4 hear you...they'll be making a series out of it in no time, then ......

"Celebrity Commuter swap"
"Commuter swap US"
"When Commuter swaps go bad"
"Commuter Swap CSI"

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
jonny jeez said:
What a great idea, don't let C4 hear you...they'll be making a series out of it in no time, then ......

"Celebrity Commuter swap"
"Commuter swap US"
"When Commuter swaps go bad"
"Commuter Swap CSI"

:sad:

hey none of that....they sound like top quality programmes to me!:biggrin:

Top Bottom