My first Video commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Were you on the pavement at 4:38? xx(

Nope, I can post the "real" footage to prove it...Honest.

Although, I will admit to two bits of pavement riding on my commute, the first is to avoid a temp section of road works where a pal picked up a puncture (one of two on his commute)..its about 5 feet long and I always ride at walking pace. The second is at the lights with Kensington High Street and earls court/Warwick road, Immediately after the junction is a ped crossing (almost on the junction) about 70% of people don't see the crossing and think its the red lights of the junction and jump it (sending peds running for cover daily) I don't like the feeling that a lorry or such like will do the same...behind me, so I get off the road and avoid it altogether.

see this shot

Jonny

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Ooooh! Undertaking an HGV just as it was about to start moving again! xx(

(Can you tell I am posting as I watch it! :smile:)

Where..I gotta see..probably my bad, let me know the time

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
8:26 Why undertake the two vehicles at the lights? What if the lights changed? It was a left turn only lane..... (Can you tell I'm having fun critiquing someone elses riding! xx()

It's hard to pick up at the speed of the vid, but the lights had only just flicked to red, so I was happy to scoot down the side to get in front..onto the ASL (and relative safety).

Can't believe you spotted that and missed the triple scalp about 5 seconds earlier!!!:smile:

I think we should all have to post our commute as a condition of joining the CC community!!:biggrin:

jonny jeez said:
It's hard to pick up at the speed of the vid, but the lights had only just flicked to red, so I was happy to scoot down the side to get in front..onto the ASL (and relative safety).

Can't believe you spotted that and missed the triple scalp about 5 seconds earlier!!!xx(

I think we should all have to post our commute as a condition of joining the CC community!!:smile:

Oh I certainly saw you overtake the white van (I'm sure you whooped! :biggrin:)

The time for the HGV 7:33.

I all seriousness you seem a more aggressive rider than me. There were a good few occasions where I would sit behind the one or two cars at lights rather than left filter to the front. Personally I don't feel any benefit. You also left filter where I wouldn't. The bit where I thought you might have hopped on the pavement, was certainly one situation where I wouldn't filter. I'm amazed there was enough space!

Welcome to world of cycling criticism. I hope you enjoy it! :biggrin:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Oh I certainly saw you overtake the white van (I'm sure you whooped! xx()

I all seriousness you seem a more aggressive rider than me. There were a good few occasions where I would sit behind the one or two cars at lights rather than left filter to the front. Personally I don't feel any benefit. You also left filter where I wouldn't. The bit where I thought you might have hopped on the pavement, was certainly one situation where I wouldn't filter. I'm amazed there was enough space!

Welcome to world of cycling criticism. I hope you enjoy it! :smile:

I was probably riding a in a more "spirited" way than usual, what with the new element of the head cam.... and the undertake of the bus makes me wince myself when I watch it back now!

But, that said, on the whole this is the style that I usually ride in and the part that requires the most "assertive riding" is the section around the Oval, (around 7-9 mins) the rest is pretty plain sailing and allows me to sit back a bit. Interestingly, on my way home I ride slower and am far less aggressive (takes me about another 15-20 minutes)

I actually like the criticism, it helps me to translate the things that we all talk about into my own ride.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
magnatom said:

Welcome to world of cycling criticism. I hope you enjoy it! xx(

It's London mate, in rush hour traffic you can lose 10-20 minutes on a commute as long as Jonny's if you don't filter assertively.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
magnatom said:

xx(

Ah, earlier you'll hear me "squeak" to the HGV as he passes me, giving me loads of room and I thanked him for it (not that he'd have heard me), I was happy that he knew I was there because of that and felt the space was large enough to ride through and into the cycle lane that I knew was ahead.

That said, there are plenty of other points that were tighter and I take your general point

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
It's London mate, in rush hour traffic you can lose 10-20 minutes on a commute as long as Jonny's if you don't filter assertively.

Very true. Although it helps to hear others views I would say that I do like to keep up a pace, but not at the expense of my own safety.

Keep it comming...I can take it!!

HobbesChoice

Thanks for putting this up Jonny. I have my muvi camera and extras now, just have to find the time to set it all up (again with thanks to Thomas for his advice).

On the speed you've put your video up you look like a double hard scalper there xx(

I think we all do things on our longer commutes that we look back on and think better of in hindsight, but overall I think we learn from those and it helps to see others being human too! I'll have to set my camera up and put on a typical ride because I think I flit from being quite assertive (positioning early into primary for pinch points, manoeuvring across 3 lanes etc) to being (safely) cautious by holding back behind buses and not filtering through traffic to get to the front of the queue.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Keep it comming...I can take it!![/QUOTE]

No criticism from the CC near Newmarket jury. There's a few gaps you squeezed through that I might not have tried, and I loved the overtaking the WVM- great stuff- some nice confident riding too. Seems to me if you are not assertive /aggressive in London you won't last long.

Thanks for putting this up- a really interesting vid, complete with obligatory dozy ped. A few motons should be made to watch this to get across the muppetry in cars/vans lorries etc we're often up against!

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
May I enquire as to how you speeded up the video or what programme folk use to top and tail their vids? Or is this all youtube features. I've never uploaded a video before.

Thanks,

Abs

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
HaloJ said:
May I enquire as to how you speeded up the video or what programme folk use to top and tail their vids? Or is this all youtube features. I've never uploaded a video before.

Thanks,

Abs

Sure, I used the standard Windows Movie maker package, it ships with windows (or perhaps windows office).

Annoyingly my vista PC at home and my office PC have two different packages and I cant do all the same stuff on both...like speed up etc

As far as you-tube is concerned, I'm new to that too, so tell me how you get on and we'll learn together:smile:

BentMikey said:

Ah but I didn't say anything about him being assertive, I said I thought he was a little aggressive.

Top Bottom