My Firsts:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had a first this weekend.

I went on one of those organised "Sky rides". It was one of the steady going rides...which ended up being 17 miles around the Ossett area of West Yorkshire.

It was on a few different terrains...rode, cobbles, cycle routes, towpaths and there were a couple of fairly steep hills but they were never very long...nothing as difficult as where I live.

My only complaint was how long it took...3 hours, including a break in the middle of about 20-30 minutes. On my own I could have done it a lot faster on the same route. Apart from that though, I really enjoyed it...a change of scenery and new people to chat to along the way.
If you want a faster/longer ride try the ones tagged as 'challenging'.

Pope

Regular
If you want a faster/longer ride try the ones tagged as 'challenging'.

I might do in the future. Like I said, this was the first one I'd done so I wanted to see what it was like.

leedsmick

Can I ask what age group were on the ride. I've been tempted to go on one myself but not sure I want to stand out like a sore thumb as a bloke on his early 40's.

JoshM

Stuff going on stopping me cycling. It's been a week now. I MUST get on the bike this week. Dave's (my other half) mum was taken into hospital last night and is quite poorly. Not sure if I should take car or bike to work in case I need a quick gettaway.

Hope your mother in law is ok. Don't beat yourself up about the lack of cycling , it'll still be there when things settle down again, and you'll be amazed at how little impact your time off has had.

This topic has made me laugh, inspired me, and to me epitomises what sport should be about - challenging yourself and having fun.

Pope

Regular
Can I ask what age group were on the ride. I've been tempted to go on one myself but not sure I want to stand out like a sore thumb as a bloke on his early 40's.
I'm 27 and was the youngest. There was another lad who was in his early 30's. Apart from that, it was late 40's to 60's. This might explain the slow pace (no offence to senior people on here).

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

I had a first this weekend.

I went on one of those organised "Sky rides". It was one of the steady going rides...which ended up being 17 miles around the Ossett area of West Yorkshire.

It was on a few different terrains...rode, cobbles, cycle routes, towpaths and there were a couple of fairly steep hills but they were never very long...nothing as difficult as where I live.

My only complaint was how long it took...3 hours, including a break in the middle of about 20-30 minutes. On my own I could have done it a lot faster on the same route. Apart from that though, I really enjoyed it...a change of scenery and new people to chat to along the way.

Sounds like u enjoyed it. Well done.

steve keay

Über Member
I miss your posts too.

As for Skyrides I've done a few lately. Always a nice mix of people. Did a challenging one the other week. Just more hills . Last weekend was a slow ride. There was a young boy who couldn't have been more than eight who rode the whole ride on a little bike. He did great. They always ride at the slower riders pace. Nobody moaning just encouragement. I'd definitely recommend giving one a go :smile:

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

I have had a very kind and caring email from a member here asking if things were ok and I really appreciated his, and everyone elses concerns. Looking back at the unread threads, thanks all for your concerns and comments about missing by 'banter'. I thought I would update you on what's been going on......

Back in October, my mum-in-law was taken into hospital seriously ill. She didn't get out until Christmas Eve so there was lots of running around and chores to do. had to hang up the bike for a while. Also I was felled by athritis in my knee. Ended up on crutched for about 6 weeks until it calmed down. Cycling was deffo impossible and by the time the knee was better the winter was upon us and I have had no desire or inclination to get back in the ssaddle. I was also concerned that it was the uphill cycling work that set my knee off.

Anyway, it's time to get back into it again and the email I received from a member here (Thanks Dan XX - hope he isn't a cyberstalker..........) has spurred me on. I will start my postings again soon, which will probably begin with something like...."My first sore ar*e of 2016". Can't believe I have to go through THAT pain barrier again! Chat soon everyone! (and BTW, I put on a stone when I stopped cycling - have shifted some of it but the rest of the a*se lard needs to be off ASAP)!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Aha glad I could spur you on.
Am hanging up my cyberstalking hat now you're back, and clearly I'm not alone in looking forward to hearing more 'firsts'.

Take care of that knee when you restart.

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

Haha thanks lazybloke. The email really made me realise how much fun I had here and on the bike. So thanks again. "Dusting off the bike as I type"......Hubby sent me on a mission for spokes today. He said 27.5. I text him to ask if i could buy half a spoke....he didn't reply! Anyways, the lovely young lady in the shop said there were 4 types of 27.5 and which did I want...........needless to say I bought a packet of each.....Hope they do returns!

Top Bottom