My Firsts:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I popped into Aldi on Sunday, not expecting much to be left after reading posts on here but they had loads - and no Garmins. I got myself two winter jackets, a pair of merino long johns, winter tights, socks and lobster gloves. It all seems like good stuff, although I put myself in A&E over the weekend after a fall which wrenched my shoulder out, so I may not be wearing them for a while!

I have never worn Lycra until this year, but I can totally see the point of it. When I started commuting it was in my work clothes, and I was a horrible sweaty mess starting a 12-hour shift. Now I change before and after, and it's much better.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Lycra is good. Particularly if you're putting in some effort. I can ride in normal clothes, but it has to be slowly or it gets very uncomfy very quickly.

When I got my first lycra (a pair of winter tights from Lidl) I peeked round the corner of the house to see if anyone was watching before setting off.... :shy:

Grumpyfatman

I always found you can get away with almost anything if the weathers ok. The moment it's cold, wet or miserable you're going to want something designed to keep you warm and comfortable.
I won't say dry, because unless you've had surgery to remove all of your sweat glands, you're going to turn anything you wear into a damp mess. The addition of heat turns damp into moist though so that's ok!
(Sorry I couldn't resist adding that one filthy word into the mix)

Grumpyfatman

At the mo, I'm wearing running shorts over the top of them. Sure it kills the aerodynamic part but even I burst out laughing seeing myself in them..

I cycled to work the first time wearing 'tights' on Monday. Unsurprisingly my time dropped from 39mins to 37... I don't believe that's an aerodynamic improvement, it's entirely down to the shame of being seen wearing them!

Yazzoo

The first time my partner went out in lycra I remember telling him not to stop anywhere, it only looks ok when actually on the bike! Now the two of us can be found in various cafes/pubs in our shameful lycra (after or mid ride obviously, we don't just wear the stuff for fun!)

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

I always found you can get away with almost anything if the weathers ok. The moment it's cold, wet or miserable you're going to want something designed to keep you warm and comfortable.
I won't say dry, because unless you've had surgery to remove all of your sweat glands, you're going to turn anything you wear into a damp mess. The addition of heat turns damp into moist though so that's ok!
(Sorry I couldn't resist adding that one filthy word into the mix)

U love the word moist don't u grumpy???

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

I cycled to work the first time wearing 'tights' on Monday. Unsurprisingly my time dropped from 39mins to 37... I don't believe that's an aerodynamic improvement, it's entirely down to the shame of being seen wearing them!

I didn't see u in em but saw the photo......

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

Need a big ride this weekend. Gonna try for 20 on Saturday morning ( a big ride for me). Hubby is cycling from thirsk to Sunderland on Saturday so I can have another lovely ride on my own.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I love this thread, a funny account and it's great to hear you reaching your goals C-Lady. I'm more into the weekend cycling but can't make time as often as I'd like because I'm always busy with the kids or the house. I do cycle to work (rain or shine) but it's only 5 minutes each way!

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

Stuff going on stopping me cycling. It's been a week now. I MUST get on the bike this week. Dave's (my other half) mum was taken into hospital last night and is quite poorly. Not sure if I should take car or bike to work in case I need a quick gettaway.

Pope

Regular
I had a first this weekend.

I went on one of those organised "Sky rides". It was one of the steady going rides...which ended up being 17 miles around the Ossett area of West Yorkshire.

It was on a few different terrains...rode, cobbles, cycle routes, towpaths and there were a couple of fairly steep hills but they were never very long...nothing as difficult as where I live.

My only complaint was how long it took...3 hours, including a break in the middle of about 20-30 minutes. On my own I could have done it a lot faster on the same route. Apart from that though, I really enjoyed it...a change of scenery and new people to chat to along the way.

Top Bottom