My Firsts:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

My bike recall adventure.....................(not even had it 2 weeks yet)

At the LBS.........

Evans cycles - "Hello can I help"
Me - "Yes, you have recalled my bike"
Evans cycles - "OK, where is it"
Me - "It's in my car"
Evans Cycles - "Well if you can bring it through to the workshop we will take a look"
Me - "Well, I am dressed in white and am on my lunch break from work, don't wanna get oily so can you get it for me, please"
Evans cycles - "Yes. no problem" (gets my bike from car and puts it in workshop)
Workshop Man - "Whats wrong with it"
Me - "You recalled it"
Workshop Man - "Did I"?
Me - "Yes, well not YOU personally!, here's the email"
Workshop Man - "I know nothing about this, leave the bike (gives me a receipt) and I will call you when we know what it's all about" *looks at me like Im just a woman, what do I know about bikes*
Me - "But it might be something quick and simple, can't you enquire before I go"
Workshop man - "Well I need to call the suppliers, I will call you when we know whats happening" *looks at me like Im just a woman, what do I know about bikes*
Me - "But I don't want to leave it and have to come back again if it's something easy. A guy on my bike forum says he had something similar and it took 5 minutes"
Workshop Man - "It's not how we normally do this" *looks at me like Im just a woman, what do I know about bikes*
Me - *looking at him like Im a lady in distress* - "Won't you do it as a favour, just for me, please call them now"
Workshop Man - *looking at me like I need humouring* " Well ok, just browse the shop and I will see what I can do"
Me - "Thank you, I really appreciate this as I don't know when I can call back and I really need my bike this weekend"
Workshop Man - (whilst I watch him to ensure he really does make a call) makes a call so I go browse
Workshop Man - (less than 10 mins since I arrived and less than 5 since he started his call) "OK, its good to go"
Me - "What is, my bike, already"?
Workshop Man - "Yes, you were right - all I had to do was check the fork nuts - they are fine" *looks at me sheepishly*
Me - "Wow, good job I didn't leave it after all isn't it"
Workshop Man - "Cough - yes, er, sorry about that"
Me - "Can I have something to say the check has been done in case anything happens"?
Workshop Man - "Oh, er, yes of course" *prints something off for me, looking put out*
Me - "Just one more thing.......Can you take it to my car please"...........................

If I had driven 10 miles back to work to have to drive 10 miles back for a 2 minute job, I woulda gonn BALLISTIC!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My day at work at an LBS:

I was quite happily enjoying my day at work try to memorise bottom bracket manufacturers part numbers, when this crazed woman came storming into the shop. First of all she demanded I went and got the bike from the car for her because she was wearing white. I was a bit miffed at this as a I was wearing my third favourite Beavis and Butthead t-shirt which I had only been wearing for 4 days in a row, I didn't want to risk getting sweaty, but seeing as she was a bit 'fit' I thought I would show off my amazing 'getting bike from a car skills'. I only caused one large scratch, but I don't think she noticed. I took it into the workshop and then the lady started blabbering on about a recall - I have no idea where she got that idea from - this is the UK, we don't recall things here, did she think she was in the USA?
I figured that as usual, I could take the bike in, ignore it for a month and hope the owner would not come back, that way I could nick lots of parts off it before we sold it on. However, you could not believe the nerve of this lady, she actually wanted me to look at it now, she claimed she needed it. Is she crazy? Why has she not got at least one or two other bikes to use in the meantime. I just don't understand women.
Anyway, she started doing the puppy dog eyes and some whining, so I thought lets try and get rid of her. So I pretended to call up Cannondale, but actually called my mate for a few minutes to laugh about the goings on in Big Brother. I then pretended to twiddle about which the front end of the bike for a while, assuming that she would not have a clue what I was doing, or that the back end may also need attention. I then took it out to the shop to present to the lady - I was expecting a decent tip for rushing this though, she did not take the hint though.
She then had the nerve to get me to take the bike out to her car again, this would mean a really big tip, enough to pay for another few days credit on my phone. Plus I was pretty sure she would slip me her phone number after. Bike loaded into the car, hand out waiting or the tip and the phone number - well would you believe it, she got in her car an drove off looking pretty miffed.

Nevermind - I will look up her phone number on the shop computer system.

;);););):heat:

Anyway - enough of that twaddle - I am glad you got it sorted. would be interesting to know exactly what they did as you don't have wheel nuts, you have skewers to hold your wheels on. Did they replace them?

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

haha very funny milkfloat!

It was the nuts in the bottom of the forks that were the potential problem.

Another ride in this morning, this time my hubby accompanied me. Not sure he trusted me to ride in alone! His garmin kept making this really annoying bleeping noise, advising hubby that his heart rate was too slow, to tell him to ride faster. If I had one, it would have been bleeping to tell me if it beat any faster I might actually pass out!

I did 2 hills (ok, slight inclines) that have failed me the last twice so I was pretty pleased - hubby's garmin Edge continued to bleep at him *sigh*. One man and his dog got in my way, that's why I had to get off and push, didn't want to run them over. Nothing to do with the incline.......

Made it to work in 55 mins, prev time 1HR (I recall) and the one before that 1hr 5 mins so its getting easier and faster - I now have 'map my ride' so can compare, as I move forward through my commutes. Home is easier, mostly downhill with only the one hill (itreally is a hill) at Cox Green that I mentioned before. Hope to cycle a few inches higher up this time before getting off to push and being overtaken my geriatric dog walkers.

More to follow re exploits on homeward journey........

Fubar

Guru
Nice write up's - people are interested 'cos most of us have been in the same situation as yourself. I remember doing 5 miles on a mountain bike (all on pavements) thinking I was amazing!

My daughter has got a bike and has been coming out with me doing a bit of "roadcraft" riding - last Thursday she conquered a hill that previously she had only walked up, it was brilliant to see her do it, even if she couldn't talk for 5 minutes. She's coming on tour in 3 weeks time where we will be doing around 100k per day, which will be a shock! Still, we have alllll day :smile:

Keep up the good work and keep up the funny stories!

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

Homeward commute today. First time on my own. When I realised I didn't recognise the fence I was next to, I realised I had missed my turning. A quick call to hubby soon put me right. The second turning I missed was because it had disappeared. Totally. Just gone. Was there this morning. I was in a car park I recognised but just couldn't find the exit......

The firemen in the car park was an unexpected bonus however, so I didn't mind hanging around a while. Some kids had started a fire in the trees. When the fire engine moved away low and behold, there was the exit. The 'appliance' (I used to watch London's Burning so I know the right words) had been hiding it!

My next challenge was the hill I mentioned before. I got about 2 metres further than last time so gave myself a pat on the back. As I dismounted (well more like slid off) to push up the rest of the hill, who should pull up but my senior manager in her car! Why didn't she pass me somewhere flat whilst I was on the bike. Typical! "Hi" she said, "you really are cycling. Well done you!". I felt proud.

At the top of the hill, on a less steep part which I had cycled up, I turned left to go through a gateway and found myself on the floor, I had just lost balance and fell off. My first fall. They say you aren't a real cyclist until you have come off 6 times (what kind of woman's saddle does that!!!!!). Roll on the next 5 times. The 2 little girls on their ponies just stared at me in wonderment. Fat lass on the floor, wearing a bike.

The rest of the journey was a dream. What else could have gone wrong?

Total miles cycled - 74
Weight loss this week - 2 lb
Total weight loss since joining fat class - 11.5 lb
Falls (another first) - 1
Bum state - numb but pleasurably so
State of mind - positive
Total State of pocket - 4 car journeys worth of petrol

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You are going to look back at these posts in a few weeks/months and wonder what all the fuss was about that hill. I remembering bagging my first mountain (ok, it was just a hill) years ago, a tremendous sense of achievement. I still have one particular nemesis now, one day I will get the bugger.

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

No ride in today because of a doc's appointment early doors. Biking would have made me late for work. Give the old rear a rest. Im away in the lakes at the weekend. Not taking bike as the guys are doing the C2C Sat and Sun, so the WAG's are meeting up with them in Penrith for the night on Saturday. Lots of ale (yummy) and beige food (unless I can avoid it). Back on the bike Monday.

Top Bottom