My flapjacks are too soft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
I've been making flapjacks recently to take on rides. I usually wrap them in tinfoil and carry them in my jersey pocket but with the current temperatures they are getting a bit soggy.

I'm using 4oz butter, 4oz muscovado sugar, 6 oz oats, 1 tablespoon syrup, with a few dried apricots chucked in, and cooked at 160 degrees for 25 minutes.

Anyone recommend any changes to make them a bit firmer ?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Keep them in the fridge, before setting out ?

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I've been making flapjacks recently to take on rides. I usually wrap them in tinfoil and carry them in my jersey pocket but with the current temperatures they are getting a bit soggy.

I'm using 4oz butter, 4oz muscovado sugar, 6 oz oats, 1 tablespoon syrup, with a few dried apricots chucked in, and cooked at 160 degrees for 25 minutes.

Anyone recommend any changes to make them a bit firmer ?

My recipe is metric.
Oats 150g
Butter 125g
Sugar 125g
Few squeezes of golden syrup and maybe some molasses
I bake mine at 180Deg fan for 15 minutes. Only goes soggy if too much syrup

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Some people use a teaspoon of Bicarbonate Soda or baking powder in their mixture. It might help with the soggyness. otherwise bake them a little longer till they are more of a crispy golden brown and remember to let them cool properly before wrapping them up in tin foil or whatever else you use.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
My recipe is metric.
Oats 150g
Butter 125g
Sugar 125g
Few squeezes of golden syrup and maybe some molasses
I bake mine at 180Deg fan for 15 minutes. Only goes soggy if too much syrup

20230517_111854.jpg

These are how mine turn out. Though strokese that every oven is different. So temperature quoted above may not work for you. Added raisins and pumpkin seeds to this batch
As an aside I found a way of wrapping them in foil-backed parchment paper (photo below from American book)
20230609_065943.jpg

Top Bottom