My folding bike adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

Kies

I don't think any of the train company staff understand anything more than "folded good, non-folded bad."

That said, there is a huge difference between the folded size of a Dahon and Brompton. If they had any clue, they'd specify the dimensions of the folded bike.

i think you are right about staff not knowing.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
depending on money, maybe consider a Birdy. The commuter model is a tad under £1000. It is the best combo of ride quality and compact fold. Rated 18 inch wheel so no train issues, sensible gearing and a solid decent quality rack that doesn't just rest effectively on the rear mudguard, but sits high enough to take a pannier - although it'll catch your heel unless you shift your foot forward a wee bit. They're overlooked models generally as they don't have the Brommy hype to match the price differential over the Dahon level bikes and never got the same foothold over here.

sreten

I don't think any of the train company staff understand anything more than "folded good, non-folded bad."

Hi,

I think most people know what a compact "shopping" type folder
looks like, even if they are pretty clueless about bicycles in general.

And this doesn't, although its a folding bike, with "24 inch" wheels ,
your argument that "its a folder" won't get you very far at all IMO.

MMS_SL24SF02BL_l.jpg

I think its pretty clear what folders would be treated as "normal" bikes.
The ones that look like "normal" bikes. Its not more complicated IMO.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I think you over-estimate the knowledge and initiative of the average train company employee … (No offence to the knowledgeable ones here.)

While that definitely shouldn't be allowed, show that it folds and I bet you'd be allowed to take it.

sreten

So an average daily commute of 20 ish miles. I currently do the whole thing once a week on my sirrus and total mileage is
40-45 miles if I don't go into Docklands. I find that sort of mileage unsustainable on a daily basis, what with having to work as well.

Hi,

Have you considered an electric folder for that sort of daily mileage ?

rgds, sreten.

sreten

I think you over-estimate the knowledge and initiative of the average train company employee … (No offence to the knowledgeable ones here.)

While that definitely shouldn't be allowed, show that it folds and I bet you'd be allowed to take it.

Hi,

And I bet you simply wouldn't depending on the station. For Brighton.:

During peak periods, many of our services are extremely busy, therefore regular (non-folding) cycles cannot be carried on many of our services during these
times. Fully folding cycles are welcome on our trains at any time and we ask that these are fully folded and carried before going through the gateline.

Note the "fully folding" ... I wouldn't rate my chances much at Brighton station with the above bike
on a daily basis, even though Southern Railways do not explicitly state any wheel size restriction.

rgds, sreten.

sreten

In my mind that would be akin to buying a moped. Whilst my legs work - cycling only :-)

Hi,

Not really, running in assist mode. They basically help you not to go slow,
but don't help going fast. In other words if a daily mileage is really too
high for you they can help you to do it a lot more more comfortably.

It is the obvious future of commuter bicycles,
and for a few reasons folders first.
e.g. take a look at this :
http://www.bicycles4u.com/product/evora-electric-explorer-20
http://www.bicycles4u.com/electric_20.html

If is was suitable for you in your job day to day and allowed you
ride a bike everyday, i.e. pedal every day what is wrong with it ?

For sure if you don't need one, don't use one. But don't lump
them in with mopeds which require no user effort at all.

You can ride an electric bike as hard as a real one if you want
to, and not only that, to do 15mph + on the flat you have to.

You can ride it hard at low speed too, however unlike the above
your average speed will be a lot higher and you will cover much
more mileage for your effort if you are pootlng along at 10mph.

Electric bikes are not like mopeds / motorcycles / cars,
where as the speed increases so does engine power.

Electric bikes offer less power and assistance the faster you go.
Consequently they help with setting off, hills and headfwinds,
They are still essentially pedal powered bikes mot mopeds.

Conversely electric mopeds for the same reasons are awful,
they are no fun at all. As you go faster the power available
on tap from the throttle decreases, very yawnsome stuff.

rgds, sreten..

Last edited:

sreten

Hi,

Peoples perception of train staff is way off the mark. I'd say if you want
pendants, sticklers to detail and jobsworths you'd be nearer the mark.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Update: 18th October, got myself back to Evans Brentford and tried a lovely white M3L, felt a bit wobbly and would need the telescopic seat

I'd guess you tried one with the standard seatpost - at 5'11" you'd probably be OK with the extended seatpost (which gives you an extra 60mm height at the expense of a very slightly larger fold). This is a free option, whereas the telescopic seatpost adds £37 to the build cost. Not a showstopper, I know, but every little helps!
Folding/unfolding would also be less of a faff, I reckon.

As others have already mentioned, though, I wouldn't fancy leaving a Brommy lying around for more than five minutes, whatever the quality of lock.
Let us all know what you end up with, preferably with pics!

OP
OP
K

Kies

It's a step closer today - neighbours work colleague is interested in my Triban 3. The sale will help get the folding bike past Mrs Kies as she doesn't know about the N+1 rule. Thus

N+1+1+1-1=a married life

"As others have already mentioned, though, I wouldn't fancy leaving a Brommy lying around for more than five minutes" - yes a big concern for me, as it's just not practical to take it inside for 50% of the customers i go see, hence my leaning towards a Tern.

"Let us all know what you end up with, preferably with pics!" - i will be trigger happy :-)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hmmm http://www.decathlon.co.uk/folding-bike-tilt-9-copper-id_8202739.html barring the awful colour and white tyres, The tilt 9 has given me a bit of something to think about for the completely hassle free get on and go riding which I'm in the process of doing to my 12yo Birdy right now, it needs new rims at the mo & I've got ideas for spending out on it having a new rear hub and dyno hub front wheels built from scratch to last me another decade on it.
But if it'd only cost me £100 odd more for a brand new bike with a lifetime guarantee and similar Shimano componentry - aaaargh, I'll have to give Stockport's branch a call and see if they can get one in to have a look at, my n+1 gene has just kicked in with avengance.

Sorry for the threadjack @Kies, but that is definitely a brand for you to think about too, I'm quite a fan of Decathlon all round, the stuff is always better than the price point suggests and they do seem to have it right with bikes particularly. All 3 of my kids ride Decathlon bikes (MTB, Riverside Hybrid and Ladies Elops), I had a Sport 1 roadie until it got nicked, they've all been absolute belters. I had a set up problem with daughters Elops (brake arm bolt missing) but that was fixed on the spot, no quibbling and the lad seemed as shocked as I was it could have gone out like that.
Its a while since I've been in to browse bikes & the tilt range has slipped past me so far.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
follow up to the above, I've been and had a play on Tilt 5 & 7 today. They ride nicely, are comfortable 'out of the box', the fixed stem is a nice height and reach for an average height range, I'm 5'10" and was totally comfy with range either side, they feel like a good solid bike, handle and stop* confidently, the rims are more BMX than Brompton/Birdy narrow and look like they'd be perfectly capable and comfortable quite a way off road as well as rolling along on tarmac - my bit of the Rochdale canal has sections of lose stone & cobbles, I think this would handle it nicely. From my limited opportunity to ride them properly, the Sram 3 speed feels very much like Brompton 3 speed gaps and ratios, the 2 speed CVT felt ok too. The bikes look good, better in the flesh than in their photos. The fold is clever and feels solid at all points, it goes down to a Dahon sized package so if trains/busses feature more heavily than pedalling for you then you may have issues, but its car boot sized, light enough to pick up/lift etc and shoulder strap carryable for longer or with the frame & bars folded will push along very easy lawnmower like using the saddle.

to be niggly, the integrated front light is fixed front facing so you'd lose a bit of illumination when turning the bars hard and one of the 5 bikes I rode had a couple of seatpost slippages.

to be less niggly: pulling on the front brake gives an alarming amount of flex through the frame hinge when you first experience it. I took the first bike I rode to the service desk and suggested the headset was very loose or the brakes were faulty. They assured me it was designed like this with a flex tolerance built into the hinge design, The others I rode all felt the same under front braking so I guess they're either being straight or its a big overlooked design flaw they're putting a brave face on.

It's definitely an interesting option though and specced very well at the price points. I am going to go back for a closer look and more ride time to see if it is the n+1 option over refurbing the Birdy's transmission and wheels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom