My folding bike adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Update: I am the winning bidder on a Dahon mu p8 (2012) :-)
Will be picking it up from the sellers office in Victoria.
Pictures and progress to follow ..
Hope it proves aMusing :smile:

OP
OP
K

Kies

Update:

$(KGrHqZHJEUFJZ+B+HOIBSZ8jCSYi!~~60_12.JPG
$T2eC16JHJG8FGtFtU8WSBSZ8jL(L0g~~60_12.JPG

picked her up from Victoria this afternoon. Rides really well, shifting is crisp and smooth. Love the fact i can move the handebars up/down depending on the type of riding i want to do. Back brake pad rubs very slightly on one side, but that's a minor tweak. front pads squeak on stopping, will give her a proper clean and see if that cures it, otherwise change the pads.

so far so good - pleased with my purchase :-)

Little My

Update:

View attachment 31807 View attachment 31808

picked her up from Victoria this afternoon. Rides really well, shifting is crisp and smooth. Love the fact i can move the handebars up/down depending on the type of riding i want to do. Back brake pad rubs very slightly on one side, but that's a minor tweak. front pads squeak on stopping, will give her a proper clean and see if that cures it, otherwise change the pads.

so far so good - pleased with my purchase :-)

Well done! Congratulations!
I have her older and heavier brother - Dahon Speed D7 and love him to bits,so I'm sure once you tweaked her she should ride like a dream :smile:

OP
OP
K

Kies

Spent a windy friday night in the shed - the kids came to get me at 11:30 :eek

1. Adjusted the back brake, so no more rubbing.
2. The cateye lights - new batteries and some grease around the seals (came with bike :bonus)
3. Worked out and marked best position for cree T6 so the fold is unaffected
4. Straightened the rear racks light mounting plate, attached cateye bracket & my own cateye
5. Cleaned the drivetrain, adjusted and lubed
6. Cleaned & polished the bike, paying particular attention to the rims using some alchohol wipes (squeeking)

Must get round to adding some pictures .......

Yesterday afternoon - the wind had picked up, but i was determined to go on a test ride. Stuck the Garmin on her for a comparison against my hybrid. Well i was very pleased. Did 6 miles and averaged 13.1 mph. A top speed of 20.4mph on an undulating road and the everpresent headwind ( how can it feel like a headwind when riding a closed loop?).

The saddle looks to be level, but i found myself sliding down it, so either i need to raise the nose very slightly and/or raise the handlebars by a few mm (loving how the bars can be raised or lowered).
Lastly, my left foot kept slipping, i was wearing general purpose trainers, which don't slip on other bikes - can anyone recommend good folding pedals, that have some grip?

Edit: seller sent me the original receipt. He bought it in January 2013 from Halfords Bicester on sale. RRP £700, sale price £500. My price £250.21

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kies

Had another ride today, after adjusting the angle of the seat and bringing the handlebars up my 1cm. No more foot/pedal slipping :-)
Managed 10 miles at an average of 14.2 mph. This is getting addictive!

OP
OP
K

Kies

After the clean polish and adjust ...

Dahon  (2).JPG

rear bracket straightened and both cateyes ..

Dahon  (3).JPG

Cree T6 with lens reflector - should help over the coming months

Dahon  (5).JPG

The Garmin may have to stay at home,before I start to SCR with roadies ;-)

Dahon  (4).JPG

The fold is enough for my mainline train, and the front light + battery pack stays within the fold, so no need to remove everytime.

Dahon  (30).JPG

OP
OP
K

Kies

couldn't resist buying some MKS FD-7 folding pedals

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mks/fd-7-folding-pedals-ec025882

£30 online

chugsy

£250 is a bargain! Schalwbe Supremes are a pretty penny on their own! I love my Speed P8 but it doesn't get used as often as it should be. Get some bar ends on I say for comfort. I recently swapped out my Xlite Stubbies for these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BICYCLE-M...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20ceb22c4a
So much more comfortable and do not interfere with the fold.
I would get some SPDs but wouldn't be able to pull off my signature move of walking off the bike before stopping :P Use conventional Wellgos - I don't need a super narrow package.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kies

image.jpg

The Fd-7's arrived today. Feel very solid compared to the standard suntours and a nice 1 click to fold/unfold

chugsy

Think of them at T shapes on the end of the bars. Weird at first as ~I like to stretch out but I soon got used to it and so much more comfortable than my alu xlites as they are rubber molded over a metal clamp. I used to have to loosen the old bar ends with an allen key to get the wheel magnets to connect for a compact fold - a faff and a half. Much better now.

Top Bottom