My folding bike adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

Having hijacked other threads I thought it best to start my own. I have lot of questions, which you experienced foldites (all makes) may be able to answer and help me buy the commuter I am looking for.

My journey: ride 5 miles to mainline station (allows Oyster card) and terminates at Paddington. I work at customer sites, within west end,city and docklands. The return journey is back from Paddington. So an average daily commute of 20 ish miles. I currently do the whole thing once a week on my sirrus and total mileage is 40-45 miles if I don't go into Docklands. I find that sort of mileage unsustainable on a daily basis, what with having to work as well.

My equipment : rucksack or bag containing laptop,charger,few tools, bike clothing,bike spares,lights.

My need: a folder but not something I can cart about once with a customer. Some are dark data centres with a lone security guard,some banks ,others can be busy offices. I WON,T be taking the bike into any customer premises, so locked up outside. Most visits are between 1-2 hours. D-Lock + cable will be used.

1st October : tried a Tern link P9 at Evans Brentford. Nice bike,but could have done with the handlebars being slightly higher as I'm 5-11". Bike was stable and no flex. Really flew along with 20" wheels. Would love to try a brompton out as this bike will most probably be purchased/leased via C2W scheme.

16 October : a nice Dahon has taken my eye on eBay, but doesn't have a rear rack.
Do I need a rear rack or should I go for a luggage truss and buy a bag to go with it?

18th October : Popped into Evans Shoreditch earlier,hoping to try out a brompton. No one helped me :mad.
I picked up a folded tern and a folded brom, not much in it , and both are pretty heavy as a dead weight on the end of my arm. Will wheel the bike along in a semi folded state much of the time.
The brompton width is slightly thinner than the tern,but storage isn't my main concern (just that fgw trains allow folding bikes)
The tern looks like it will be easier to roll along in the folded position,no experience of this as yet
I left dissapointed and will not give them my business. Evans Brentford were far better when we recently bought my wife's bike, will go back and get a brompon test ride there and ultimately give them my business if I do buy new.
Another question - front luggage truss on the tern is plain ugly compared to the brom, is there any way of mounting a brom luggage.
Lastly price - a new brompton (M3L) with c bag is £1000. A med spec Tern is £500 ish. Keeping my eye on eBay, but I see residuals on bromptons are fantastic ( worth considering if/when I have no need for a folder)

So that's where I am right now - please give me your thoughts and experiences with similar commuting. Pretty confused with all the choices,but sure I want one when I am sat here in my car (London bridge) and I could of been cycling along the south side of father Thames !

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm tempted to steer you towards a Brompton if only because it is a bomb proof bike that will stand up to regular, hardish use.

Not sure you could say that about the other folders.

Service and spares availability is about as good as you will get.

All of which is no good if you don't like it, but test rides are available - rubbish dealers notwithstanding.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
To try a Brompton properly you could always try the Brompton docking system, if there's one near you. Basically a cheap as chips way to hire one, that said tho, my local dealer has demo bikes. I tried before I bought and had the demo for a weekend.

OP
OP
K

Kies

Have joined Brompton dock as leisure member (£1 annual fee) , will be hiring a brommie for a few days @ £5 per day.

Update: 18th October, got myself back to Evans Brentford and tried a lovely white M3L, felt a bit wobbly and would need the telescopic seat, also found 3 gears a bit limiting as i like to change gears regularly and found the gearing between 2 & 3 very spaced out, also found the gear changer a flimsy device, certainly didn't shout quality to me. I wasn't that impressed with the ride, it was a compromise for my height and 86kg of lard,but the fold and residual value make it an intriguing proposition. With an M6L and bag i would be looking at almost £1100 :eek

2nd bike i tried was the Tern P7i - 7 internal (sturmey archer) gears, front dynamo which powers front and rear hubs. Front handlebars can be adjusted a little for height,angle and rake (Andros stem) OMG - what a lovely bike to ride. Felt like a MTB, i folowed a couple of hybrid cyclists along Brentford high street, matched them for speed. Was nice to compare the average speed of a folder to a conventional bike. Really taken by this bike and the £550 (sale) price, but didn't like the battleship grey colour. The flagship commuter is the P24h (in matt black :-) which marries a 3 speed internal hub to a 8 speed cassette, not dissimilar to the Brompton way. The rest of the spec is as above. This bike is even better value at £500!

Next step forward is to use a Brompton for a day or two - probably a 6 speed version , but the price is a consideration here, on the other hand i know quality costs. Is the Tern going to fall apart after a couple of years? Are they easily serviceable by any lbs?

I may be over thinking this purchase!!! Pick a bike i like the look of,and feels right to ride for ME! :-)

OP
OP
K

Kies

[QUOTE 2718621, member: 45"]Tried Mezzo?[/quote]

Mezzo? No
Don't know anything about them, do they have a dealer in London? Do you have any experience of them?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd be wary of locking a Brompton up in central London, even with a D lock. I've just been looking at the Tern P24 but sadly the fold is just (only just :cry:) too large to get it onto Eurostar.
The Decathlon Tilt bikes look interesting - decent fold and not too expensive.

OP
OP
K

Kies

I'd be wary of locking a Brompton up in central London, even with a D lock. I've just been looking at the Tern P24 but sadly the fold is just (only just :cry:) too large to get it onto Eurostar.
The Decathlon Tilt bikes look interesting - decent fold and not too expensive.

I don't have any plans to take it via Eurostar, so now worries there. The Tern P24h is a fantastic bike at £500, and at this moment in time my top choice, BUT i really want more exposure to the Brommies and possibly Mezzo before coming to a conclusion. The ride is more important than the fold, and taking it in with me is a no no. I can end up walking a mile inside these huge datacentres , with both hands full of computer bits, rucksack on my back.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
FYI, a folded Brompton with a d lock thru the package is about as safe an unattended bike gets. The whole package is inside the fold and d lock fits thru perfectly.

OP
OP
K

Kies

FYI, a folded Brompton with a d lock thru the package is about as safe an unattended bike gets. The whole package is inside the fold and d lock fits thru perfectly.

Thats interesting to know, but i can't see myself leaving £1000 locked up outside :eek
Only seen one in London and that was a very poorly maintained pink edition

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
I will throw in my two pennies on this thread as I have on others and hoist the flag for the Tern Joe D24. I bought one from eBay from a guy who had only had it a few months (receipts to prove).
I had been looking for a folder as I was commuting site to site in London, and I had got stuck on the tube one time too many. I was looking for a full size folder as I really don't like the way small wheel bikes handle especially on London's potholed streets.
I was considering bikes from Dahon, Montague and finally Tern.
I tried a Dahon and found it creaked (ok I will hold my hands up I am on the large side at 18 stone - former rugby player), and couldn't find a Montague to try anywhere. I tried a Tern, found it very stable, pretty fast, and very similar to ride as my old Saracen mountain bike but with better road tyres.
I found the one I won the auction on at less than half price of new and around a quarter of the price of a Dahon. I started using it in London as much as possible and found it really useful, although the 24 gears are a bit of overkill for London's roads. A few weeks ago I lost that job - they got rid of 64 of us on the same day - so suddenly thought I had no further use for the Tern.
Any way, I have since found an alternative position, not in London, but realised very quickly I could use a bike to go from lodgings to workplace and back again for the majority of the week. I am now riding an 8 mile commute each way on very rural roads, usually watching the sun rise as I cycle, and pack the Tern in the car for the week start and finish commutes (over 120 miles each so I don't ride them - I know I am wimping out). There are no creaks, moans or groans from the Tern as yet, although the gears could probably do with a bit of a service now, and they only thing I really want to change is the saddle (probably going for a Brooks for the supreme comfort once it has been broken in - and want to put one on my Giant too).
All in all am I pleased I bought the Tern? Hell yes. It has turned out to be a really good bike to ride and gives greater flexibility to where, how and when I am able to ride.

OP
OP
K

Kies

I have just been reading the first great western .pdf about travelling with cycles on trains. It states the following ....

Folding bikes, with a maximum wheel size of 18 inches in diameter, are permitted on any service on any day.
Please fold your bike down and store it in the luggage rack.
Folding bikes with bigger wheels than specified above are treated as conventional bikes on First Great Western.

Anyone had issues with 20" folders such as Dahon or Tern at peak times?

sreten

Hi,

I'd say 18" wheel size includes all rims up to 451mm BSD.
So most so called 20" wheels will be no problem.

Basically I'd say it means any folder with so called 24" tyres,
or bigger are treated as full size bikes (ignoring some of
the very obscure wheel sizes that do exist but very rare).

It would be stupid rule given the amount of so called 20" folders, if
it referred to the so called size, rim size makes a lot more sense.

18" = 451mm. So Ertro (</ = 451mm) x (XXmm) tyres.
Most 20" are 406mm (16") x XXmm, so will be fine.
Older British folding like the R20 bikes are 451mm.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I don't think any of the train company staff understand anything more than "folded good, non-folded bad."

That said, there is a huge difference between the folded size of a Dahon and Brompton. If they had any clue, they'd specify the dimensions of the folded bike.

Top Bottom