My friend's heart rate is much lower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jani

Hello everyone!
I went for a bike ride with my friend today and after we finished we checked our heart rate. His heart rate was 80 and my heart rate was 140.
BUT I only started riding bike 2 weeks ago again . We took 30 kms and we went uphill a lot during the journey. He is in the same age and he always rides bike (but he started to ride a bike for the first time this year at the same time with me)
Why is there a huge difference between the heart rates ?

vickster

Legendary Member
It is possible that he is either super fit compared to you, or your equipment is faulty. Genetics will also play a role and the fact we are all different!

OP
OP
J

Jani

Very similar here with my much fitter mate.

You've already answered your own question.
Yes, probably. Sometimes he goes for a longer ride (150 kms) Once he took a 250 kms long ride including lots of uphill ride.

si_c

Guru
Do you mean average HR for the ride, or spot HR at the end of the ride?

Fitness plays a significant role, I went for a ride with my wife the other day, her average HR was 135 mine was 90.

I exercise a lot more.

OP
OP
J

Jani

Do you mean average HR for the ride, or spot HR at the end of the ride?

Fitness plays a significant role, I went for a ride with my wife the other day, her average HR was 135 mine was 90.

I exercise a lot more.

I mean at the end of the ride
I dunno what the average was.

OP
OP
J

Jani

It is possible that he is either super fit compared to you, or your equipment is faulty. Genetics will also play a role and the fact we are all different!
Probably he is super fit and I am not fit at all.

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably he is super fit and I am not fit at all.
Are you both the same gender too as that can have an impact. And the same body shape/weight? Age is only one factor

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Since he us fitter he will,likely have been taking it easy compared his normal pace. So his heart rate will have been lower than normal. You being unfit will be working much harder. Him being fitter means his heart rate will recover faster.
So lower rate at end of ride and it drops back towards resting heart rate quicker.

I would just concentrate on your own fitness and no worry about comparing with others. As long as you are enjoying your rides and getting some fitness and health benefits in return. There will always be someone fitter, faster etc.

OP
OP
J

Jani

Since he us fitter he will,likely have been taking it easy compared his normal pace. So his heart rate will have been lower than normal. You being unfit will be working much harder. Him being fitter means his heart rate will recover faster.
So lower rate at end of ride and it drops back towards resting heart rate quicker.

I would just concentrate on your own fitness and no worry about comparing with others. As long as you are enjoying your rides and getting some fitness and health benefits in return. There will always be someone fitter, faster etc.

Yes. Never compare yourself to others. It's true. On the other hand it's sad as well. :smile:

Top Bottom