My Garmin switched itself off mid ride. Any ideas why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Its a fairly basic model (200 edge?).
It was on approx 50% charge when at 12 miles it beeped and switched off. I immediately re-started it and was able to "resume" my ride.
The whole ride was 28 miles and it behaved the remainder of the way.
Its never done it before and never given me any problems.
Any ideas why it would do that ?

OldShep

Über Member
Its a fairly basic model (200 edge?).
It was on approx 50% charge when at 12 miles it beeped and switched off. I immediately re-started it and was able to "resume" my ride.
The whole ride was 28 miles and it behaved the remainder of the way.
Its never done it before and never given me any problems.
Any ideas why it would do that ?
It’s what Garmin do :angry:
Every Garmin I’ve ever had ( Etrex, Oregon, Edge) has done that at some point. Battery connection and vibrations are often cited.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Every Garmin I’ve ever had ( Etrex, Oregon, Edge) has done that at some point. Battery connection and vibrations are often cited.
Really? I had no idea. TBH I worried it may be on the way out.
Thanks for that.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Throw it away and buy a map. They keep going for ever and they show the entire county at a glance.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Does it need updating, its memory card cleaning or a factory reset even?
Really, I have no idea. I didnt know it had a memory card.
If it happens again I will look into those things.

Edge 200s are VERY simple... They DON'T have memory cards and are not 'smart' so do not need resetting!

Etrex models definitely do/did that. My ancient Etrex H used to switch itself off when I cycled over bumps in the road. The reason is that there are internal battery connections using wipers onto the PCB. They can bounce for a split second and Garmin (in their infinite wisdom) had not thought to include a small capacitor to hold the power line up until the connection remade. Those GPS units have AA batteries inside and the problem seems to be that having batteries bouncing about is not a good idea. I managed to almost completely solve the problem by wedging the batteries firmly in place with a small piece of Blu Tack.

I would be surprised if the battery in an Edge 200 isn't actually soldered in place so bouncing batteries/terminals would not be the problem.

I just did a quick online search and one review mentioned that the device will switch itself off some time after you stop recording a ride. It is a power saving feature. My guess is that you either forgot to start recording, or accidentally stopped!

vickster

Legendary Member
Edge 200s are VERY simple... They DON'T have memory cards and are not 'smart' so do not need resetting!

!
Fair enough. I don’t usually buy the entry level stuff

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

Etrex models definitely do/did that. My ancient Etrex H used to switch itself off when I cycled over bumps in the road. The reason is that there are internal battery connections using wipers onto the PCB. They can bounce for a split second and Garmin (in their infinite wisdom) had not thought to include a small capacitor to hold the power line up until the connection remade. Those GPS units have AA batteries inside and the problem seems to be that having batteries bouncing about is not a good idea. I managed to almost completely solve the problem by wedging the batteries firmly in place with a small piece of Blu Tack.

I would be surprised if the battery in an Edge 200 isn't actually soldered in place so bouncing batteries/terminals would not be the problem.

I just did a quick online search and one review mentioned that the device will switch itself off some time after you stop recording a ride. It is a power saving feature. My guess is that you either forgot to start recording, or accidentally stopped!
I cannot be adamant (not the singer^_^) but dont think I stopped it. I did have a few drink stops and paused it a few times.
I will take those points on board and ensure I dont make that error.
Thanks for that.

Top Bottom