My guide to bicycle security & locks.

Where do you lock up/keep your bike (anonymous voting) before you read this guide?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Good to hear!! If you keep your bike in a shed or garage, I'd suggest a ground anchor too :smile:

Linford

Had my bike nicked from my garage last year. It doesn't matter how much security you have, if they can work without being disturbed, they will defeat any security with the right tools.

Security which will have to be in place before I entertain the idea of replacing it with something nice will be either IP or GSM alerting PIR alarm system on motion in that space, The bike will also have one of these as well as it is no point having the best detection kit on the property if you can't track it once they ride off up the road.

http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/

The scrotes also have nowhere to hide in dark corners anymore, and will have to scale a 10ft high fence and defeat deadlocks whilst tripping a 500watt halogen lamp which doesn't just light up the outside of the garage, but also the hall and landing in the house - it turns night into day, and has done it a few times from Bats and birds @ 3am, but not a biggie as a trade off for peace of mind.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
I wouldn't call it a paradise for thieves, more of a source of a couple of internet sites.
There's also classifieds like Gumtree and Preloved which I've found dodgy bikes on so check those too.
Also look for the brand name and not just model, I reported a (most very likely) possible stolen Specialized Big Hit listed as a Hard Rock the other day.
They change the model name as they know their victim may be looking for their bike, such as (taken from my guide)

Dont expect them to list the bike with the make and model, they are often just titled "Mountain Bike"

Top Bottom