My hot date today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Norm said:
Not fair, I want one now! :blush:

The chains look immense on those. Are there not mechanical losses through having such a long chain which goes through all those guides?

Probably some - although I'm not in the league of cyclists who notice much in the way of mechanical losses... If you heard the dynamo on my winter hack....;)

I don't think the length of the chain per se makes a difference, just the extra jockey wheels and so on (the guide tubes are pretty slippy on the inside). But against that you have the ability to push harder, better aerodynamics and hugely improved comfort - you stop caring about better chain efficiency when your bum hurts after 70 miles...

(although I have both a recumbent and uprights - horses for courses and all that. The extra comfort really comes into its own on long rides and tours.).

A kid at a tryout roadshow once looked at a BikeE (semi recumbent 2 wheeler) and asked "Why is the chain so long?" "Um, to connect the pedals and the drivewheel..."

Headgardener - I'm sure most of the Catrike range comes in different colours - this is the new Dash meant for kids, so you'll have to be 5'3"ish or less to fit it and I think the colour is limited for the first batch.

Norm

Arch said:
Probably some - although I'm not in the league of cyclists who notice much in the way of mechanical losses... If you heard the dynamo on my winter hack....;)

I don't think the length of the chain per se makes a difference, just the extra jockey wheels and so on (the guide tubes are pretty slippy on the inside). But against that you have the ability to push harder, better aerodynamics and hugely improved comfort - you stop caring about better chain efficiency when your bum hurts after 70 miles...
:biggrin: I hadn't really thought about the chain length on a 'bent until I looked at the bike you posted. That got me interested enough to look at some more and I spotted a review of a recumbent which drives the front wheel because of the power loss. Probably just marketing guff but made me wonder.

Looks nice, though. I'd only need 8" lopped off my legs to fit one of them. :blush:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Very sexy, Arch.

The Trike's not bad either. Hard and fast is always a good thing. :biggrin:
I hope the marriage goes well and you you spend most of your honeymoon on your back.:biggrin:

Sometimes you've got to have that terrible luxury Arch! It looks great. Enjoy.

Went out on mine yesterday but it was only a little ride carrying back 5lb spuds, 3lb carrots & dozen eggs! Took the easy way home omitting the 2 motorway bridges as I was feeling a bit hampered by all the veg.

I have a bigger one!

I upgraded from a (much revised and redesigned) 1994 Trice to a Catrike Expedition and they are superb machines.

You won't regret it and I hope you have a long and happy life together.

02GF74

Über Member
that looks like it has been assembled by Stevie Wonder.

Is it meant to be like that?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Night Train said:
Very sexy, Arch.

The Trike's not bad either. Hard and fast is always a good thing. ;)
I hope the marriage goes well and you you spend most of your honeymoon on your back.:ohmy:

:thumbsup:
:biggrin:
:smile:

Norm, yes there are couple of FWD recumbent bikes, the Cruzbike and the rather rarer Burrows Alfie. There's the steering to get round - that'll always mean a little twisting of the chain, but I gather it's not an issue except in turns so tight you'd probably fall off.... Harder to do with a tadpole trike, you'd have to get into diffs and so on.

Whatever the losses, I make up for it on the downhills. On two wheels, I'm a chicken, never topped 30 and tend to get very worried over 27 or so. On a delta trike I'm much more willing to just let it roll - I've never had one with a computer but I've easily topped 33 according to a following rider and would have gone faster but for a pesky T-junction at the bottom. And cornering is such fun.....

There's a thing called the Recumbent Grin. It's basically: :biggrin:

One day I'd like some one to drive me up to the top of the Stelvio pass with my trike...:angry:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cunobelin said:
I have a bigger one!

I upgraded from a (much revised and redesigned) 1994 Trice to a Catrike Expedition and they are superb machines.

You won't regret it and I hope you have a long and happy life together.

I hope so. There's some negotiation to be done, but I should be able to manage it moneywise...

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
Wotcha doing with your Trice, then?

There are interested parties. I'll see what I can get for it. Are you/Cyclemagic interested? I have promised first dibs to someone, but only if they can come up with the money.... I fear it's probably not up to tryout use, given the reputation for frame failure.... (note, it's an old one, modern Trices don't have any such issues that I know of!)

I'm kind of sorry to sell, I'll want to know it's going to a good home, given it's inevitable sentimental value, but the chance to upgrade is too good to pass up. Assuming it all works out - the deal isn't done yet.

gavintc

Guru
I am very pleased for you Arch. I hope you have many happy times together, but as others have commented, some protection when riding is advised.

Top Bottom