My jockeys are squeaking

And I've taken them off and cleaned them 'cause they were minging but they're still squeaking. Other cyclists are avoiding me, I'm sure. No one likes a cyclist with squeaking jockeys.

No seriously they are. I've eliminated the back wheel by taking it off, holding up the chain and rotating: They squeak. It's not the BB, it's definitely the jockey wheels on the rear mech. They've been off cleaned, greased. Off cleaned, lubed and finally sworn at in a fluent and colourful way but they still squeak. Do I need to replace them or am I missing a trick? 4000 miles by the way.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Try tucking your vest into them.

DWiggy

Über Member
Have you tried to remove and add a little waterproof grease, might help... also sure its not the chain?

Slioch

Guru
Had this problem myself previously. Took it apart, cleaned it, gave it a liberal slathering of grease, but it was still squeaking, Concluded that there was possibly too much side-to-side play due to wear and tear, so replaced with new which fixed the problem.

Had this problem myself previously. Took it apart, cleaned it, gave it a liberal slathering of grease, but it was still squeaking, Concluded that there was possibly too much side-to-side play due to wear and tear, so replaced with new which fixed the problem.
Oops! You may have chucked a good wheel away. The top one (called the guide pulley) has to have side-to-side play whereas the bottom one (the tension pulley) shouldn't have side-t0-side play.

The play is there to automatically fix gears that are just slightly out of tune. It therefore runs much quieter than a fixed-spindle pulley.

Good quality pulleys used to have brass/ceramic bushings that could be removed, cleaned out and oiled. Nowadays some of them have small cartridge bearings in there which are mostly rubbish. That is no place for a tiny ball bearing, a bushing performs much better.

Top Bottom