My jockeys are squeaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

shame you dont have a spare set off jockey wheels to try...
i would just replace them tbh..cheap enough to buy online.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...uDUoP4U_ij_-Ozjm0bb1pxoCz8fw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yeah them or these

jockey-underwear-performance-plus-brief.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
And I've taken them off and cleaned them 'cause they were minging but they're still squeaking. Other cyclists are avoiding me, I'm sure. No one likes a cyclist with squeaking jockeys.

No seriously they are. I've eliminated the back wheel by taking it off, holding up the chain and rotating: They squeak. It's not the BB, it's definitely the jockey wheels on the rear mech. They've been off cleaned, greased. Off cleaned, lubed and finally sworn at in a fluent and colourful way but they still squeak. Do I need to replace them or am I missing a trick? 4000 miles by the way.
And I've taken them off and cleaned them 'cause they were minging but they're still squeaking. Other cyclists are avoiding me, I'm sure. No one likes a cyclist with squeaking jockeys.

No seriously they are. I've eliminated the back wheel by taking it off, holding up the chain and rotating: They squeak. It's not the BB, it's definitely the jockey wheels on the rear mech. They've been off cleaned, greased. Off cleaned, lubed and finally sworn at in a fluent and colourful way but they still squeak. Do I need to replace them or am I missing a trick? 4000 miles by the way.
I get my wife to put softner in the wash.

Debade

Über Member
I just cleaned and lubricated my jockey wheels with a fairly heavy grease (my LBS gave me some but don't remember the name). While only about 25 miles so far, squeak is gone. Price was right.

Jockey wheels are original on Deore LX about 18 year old bike with a fair amount of miles, perhaps 2,000 to 3,000 per year.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I just cleaned and lubricated my jockey wheels with a fairly heavy grease (my LBS gave me some but don't remember the name). While only about 25 miles so far, squeak is gone. Price was right.

Jockey wheels are original on Deore LX about 18 year old bike with a fair amount of miles, perhaps 2,000 to 3,000 per year.
Very good. I developed another squeak, different pitch and timbre. I'm very good at squeak identification now. This one turned out to be the chain complaining that I hadn't lubed it. I'm riding in silence again now, apart from my laboured breathing.

Debade

Über Member

Update - squeak is gone! Everything working well again. This will be my first approach next time before investing in new parts.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

My jockeys are squeaking again! Unbelievable. I'm hopeful some oil will fix it this time but it didn't last time. Maybe my hygiene standards just aren't good enough.

Top Bottom