My laptop has frozen......how can I switch it off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Simple test to see if it's the mouse that's causing the problem - try another one.

icowden

Veteran
It sounds as though it isn't the mouse that is the problem.
The difficult bit is that there are quite a few different things that could be causing the problem.

Which browser are you using? If you are still using internet explorer, it is notoriously slow and can use a lot of resource. Using Edge or Chrome may be worth a try.

Have you recently had any system updates applied? For older laptops or laptops with a small hard drive, Windows 10 updates can cause you to run short of space. It may be worth checking your disk space on the C drive - if there isn't much left this can cause all sorts of lags and problems.

Are you using an antivirus - if not, there may just be something occupying your processor when you start web browsing.

Another thing you could try (although it may be too techie for you to be comfortable with) is right clicking on your "start" button on the task bar and select "run". Type in "Taskmgr" and press return. Task Manager will open. Go to the performance tab and open "resource monitor". Open your browser in a small window so you can see resource monitor and the browser on the screen. This should give you an indication of what is happening when the mouse freezes. You are looking for a spike in processor usage or memory usage, or disk usage, and whether it is coming from a particular application.

Finally, probably the easiest way to resolve the issue may be to find a good local computer shop* and ask them to take a look. They should tell you their charges up front so you can decide whether fixing the machine is worth it.

*i.e. not PC World - they will rip you off

Last edited:
Top Bottom