My latest car related entertainment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Funny because this month my 15 plate Passat has just had its first two faults ever: a leaking rear shock absorber and the servo motor on the recirculation flap has bust its little worm drive. I'm not bothering to fix that as it's a huge job for a tiny part.

screenman

Legendary Member
Japanese cars were good, note the were bit. That from somebody who plays with cars still, the build quality is just not there any more.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Imagine if the great Victorian engineers like Brunel, Bazalgette and the Telfords had built all our bridges, docks, sewers, canals and railways to the minimum cost possible. We wouldn't still be benefiting from them nowadays.

Domus

Guru
Try American :eek:
When number one daughter was working in Northern Minnesota we went to visit, as it was winter we hired a 4x4. It was a Jeep Cherokee with about 8 miles on the clock. It was AWFUL, I think the steering wheel was connected to the steering rack by a steering column made from chewing gum, the alarm to say the boot lid was open sounded randomly during the whole trip, the speedo worked now and then, rattles and clonks were constant. Since then I have always had Japanese or European hire cars in the states. Our last road trip we did 5,000 + miles in the south west in a Kia Sportage, apart from the clunky auto box it was very good, best hire was from Minneapolis to Seattle in a Mazda CX-5. Superb

Globalti

Legendary Member
We are hiring all kinds of different cars at the moment, for a couple of days a month. The worst was the Mercedes A Class, which apart from a good engine and gearbox was a pile of garbage and the best was a Vauxhall Astra. Oh the Ford Fiesta was good as well.

tyred

Legendary Member
I do not think VW quality is what it once was and they are trading on their reputation of past glories (IMHO).

However, I don't think this particular problem is a reflection on VW but purely on mechanic who should not be allowed to service a wheelbarrow.

Let a different VW dealer work on it in future if possible to see if they can sort it properly. If problems keep happening, as others have said, it is a lemon - sell it on when you get it working properly again.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's not difficult if you gave only ever owned Fords? ;)

Smudge

Veteran
That's not difficult if you gave only ever owned Fords? ;)

Well i've consistently returned to Fords after owning other makes. I've had BL, Vauxhall, VW, Fiat and had issues with all of them.
Similar with motorcycles. When i've dabbled with European bikes, i've had more issues and unreliability with them than with any of my Jap bikes.

screenman

Legendary Member
Had more problems with Fords over the years than a lot other makes, bought and sold over 5,000 cars so I have bit of experience.

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, I've only had a couple of Fords, and they've never given me any problems.

I'm quite looking forward to the XC90. In 140,000 miles it suffered a catastrophic breakdown when a headlamp bulb blew. Dad replaced both just to be sure. Imagine the state a Range Rooney would be in by that mileage?

Top Bottom