My mate's view on A roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Does he mean a dual carriageway?
Even if he did, he'd still be wrong.

Anyway, there are all kinds of A roads. Big uns and littluns. Same for dual carriageways. Some DCs are fine, and some are motorways in all but name, but lacking the hard shoulder.

But all are legal to ride on, many are perfectly safe and all would be perfectly safe if drivers could be trusted to drive within the law.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I rather like some of the less busy dual carriageways in the north east.

Most drivers pass in lane two, leaving lane one for me on my bike.

The dual carriageway stretch of the A19 southbound towards Middlesbrough is now prohibited to cyclists.

Makes some sense, there have been two or three fatal accidents there in the last few years.

However, it's a pity the key element of freedom to cycle has been taken away in that instance.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The only stretch of A road that I drive regularly that I think it would be extremely dangerous to ride is the A1 going up towards Newark. There are plenty where I wouldn't ride, but if some one else did I'd just say "rather you than me". But if I ever saw a cyclist (I never have) on that stretch of the A1 I would be genuinely afraid for their safety. That said, I've never ridden on it and perhaps it's not as bad as it looks.

screenman

Legendary Member
The only stretch of A road that I drive regularly that I think it would be extremely dangerous to ride is the A1 going up towards Newark. There are plenty where I wouldn't ride, but if some one else did I'd just say "rather you than me". But if I ever saw a cyclist (I never have) on that stretch of the A1 I would be genuinely afraid for their safety. That said, I've never ridden on it and perhaps it's not as bad as it looks.

I used to race on that stretch of road often.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
The best A roads I know are the stretch of the A38 near me, the A6 between Carnforth and Levens, and the A6 north of Kendal. In all cases the A road is parallel to the M5 (for the A38) or M6, so relatively quiet, but also is a nice, reasonably wide road so cars can easily pass with plenty of room. Of course there's always the nobbers who don't use the space they have, but that's no different to B roads/yellow roads.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
The main thing for me is avoiding roads that trucks frequent. There's a popular cycling road near me that I avoid like the plague - it's become a bit of a rat run for trucks from the local quarry. It's a bit of an phobia for me but trucks are one thing I don't like when riding. If I hear one approaching, I either pull over and let him pass or look back and try and make eye contact with the driver to make sure he's seen me and is gonna pass me safely.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some A roads for me are more pleasurable to cycle on than some B roads which are narrower and poorly surfaced and can feel busier. Other A roads however are akin to a motorway or too busy and I'd give them a miss.

This^^^

My commute to work is 12 miles along an A road and it's fine. In fact more then fine as most of it is bus laned

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The main thing for me is avoiding roads that trucks frequent. There's a popular cycling road near me that I avoid like the plague - it's become a bit of a rat run for trucks from the local quarry. It's a bit of an phobia for me but trucks are one thing I don't like when riding. If I hear one approaching, I either pull over and let him pass or look back and try and make eye contact with the driver to make sure he's seen me and is gonna pass me safely.

A lorry driver of many years told me in the transport industry aggregate lorry drivers are known for their, er, press on style of driving.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4698496, member: 9609"]bonus boys ! that is why I keep well out of the way of loggers and tippers, I often stop and get off when I see them coming.[/QUOTE]

I'm reluctant to stop and get off, but it looks like something I should consider in the case of an approaching tipper.

Worth knowing timber lorries are in the same category, although I don't see many of those around my way.

jay clock

Massive member
Really depends. A33 from Winch to Basingstoke is a big old A road with some dual carriageway (no shoulder) but fine as paralleled by the M3 and really empty. Against that I once had Andover CC trying to pitch me a TT on the A303 which at that place is a motorway without the shoulder. In fact the M3 would be far safer to cycle on as it does have a shoulder. And yes I do know that you can't!

Slick

Guru
You think it makes sense to curb the freedom of the victim because you cannot control the behaviour of those posing the threat?
I'm remember posting about a cyclist on a stretch of dual that I would never have cycled on, especially as there was a good cycle track beside it. As you would expect, I took a bit of a beating from some, but within a couple of months, there were 2 cycling fatalities within a couple of miles of the same spot.

Top Bottom