My mate's view on A roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Most of my commute is on A road plus if I'm on my own and a distance from home, I will tend to ride the A road rather than smaller roads. A roads tend to be direct. Ones of note:
A2: I've ridden most of it's length at one time or another. I've been politely asked to leave it by a motorway patrol guy who freely admitted I had no obligation to leave if I didn't want to. The stretch near Gravesend London bound where the M2 joins is "interesting"
A3: Heading out of London just seems to be full of idiots.
A5: IMO the best way out of London to the North. Ridden it from Marble Arch to just outside Nuneaton.
A30: An absolute peach of a road. If you ever want to cycle from London to Winchester and all points further west, this road is the dogs.
A20: Quickest way from Ashford to London. It's not particularly pretty but it's also not too bad

I tend to prefer A roads because it gives motorists more room to pass particularly on the larger ones.

As I think someone has mentioned, you're not allowed to cycle on all A roads. There's a stretch of the A13 where it's not allowed and the Blackwall Approach from Sun in the Sands northbound is also barred.

Drago

Legendary Member
A2: I've ridden most of it's length at one time or another. I've been politely asked to leave it by a motorway patrol guy who freely admitted I had no obligation to leave if I didn't want to.

Did you report him for exceeding his remit by asking you to desist in a lawful activity?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Did you report him for exceeding his remit by asking you to desist in a lawful activity?
No he was a very nice bloke who was just expressing concern, largely over my very tired cycling partner. I had been considering trying to get off but then I'd have been lost. He provided clear directions for me to get home :smile:

chriscross1966

Über Member
There was a road near Frome that I went on a few years ago - one of the few that I've ever just been really rather scared on. It was relatively fine after the quarry...
Is that on the run down to Shepton?... Ridden it a few times on a Sinclair C5 towing a cycle trailer of camping gear.... not a nice piece of road, there's a bit there that looks downhill but is uphill... a soul-breaking experience if you've already been in the saddle for 12 hours and you have to stop to let the motor cool down (my C5 was rigged with big batteries and a Sturmey gearhub to allow me to peddle all the time, it was like riding an old plastic school chair, so the backs of the thighs were just one big bruise the next day)......

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Is that on the run down to Shepton?... Ridden it a few times on a Sinclair C5 towing a cycle trailer of camping gear.... not a nice piece of road, there's a bit there that looks downhill but is uphill... a soul-breaking experience if you've already been in the saddle for 12 hours and you have to stop to let the motor cool down (my C5 was rigged with big batteries and a Sturmey gearhub to allow me to peddle all the time, it was like riding an old plastic school chair, so the backs of the thighs were just one big bruise the next day)......
Yes - I was heading down to Glastonbury en route to Exeter from Bradford-on-Avon.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
[QUOTE 4704769, member: 9609"]I had to do half a mile on the A1 yesterday, what a horrible horrible fast road, I managed it to the layby before a convoy of madness rolled by all jockeying to overtake each other, then I managed it to my turn off with only one pass by a car doing about 90. Some farkwit heading north in a lorry was giving me the finger, we're not very welcome on these roads.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.5...4!1sA3sdJC-BWiLj-wPa6a3STw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656[/QUOTE]
I frequently visit that area, and often you can't avoid the A1 if you need to cross it. There is simply no alternative. As a result I tend to plan my rides either to the east or west of that road

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not unless you're completely mental. There are several ways of doing that ride, none of them are on the A30.
Well we'll have to agree to disagree. All the people I've ridden it with have said what a good route out of London it is

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
[QUOTE 4704769, member: 9609"]I had to do half a mile on the A1 yesterday, what a horrible horrible fast road, I managed it to the layby before a convoy of madness rolled by all jockeying to overtake each other, then I managed it to my turn off with only one pass by a car doing about 90. Some farkwit heading north in a lorry was giving me the finger, we're not very welcome on these roads.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.5...4!1sA3sdJC-BWiLj-wPa6a3STw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656[/QUOTE]
I originally thought you were talking about the dual carriageway sections of the A1. There are plenty of single carriageway A-roads around here that are packed especially at rush hour that I have no hesitation cycling along with a strong secondary position and primary where appropriate.

Motorists can't have it both ways, bitching about any of "their road tax" being spent on high quality cycle infrastructure then moaning because cyclists are using "their" roads because there is no alternative route.

Occasionally I get some duckhead punishment overtake but strangely said motorists aren't so brave when you catch them at the inevitable queue down the road.

Top Bottom