My mate's view on A roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All A roads (in fact all public roads other than motorways) are by default cyclable unless a specific restriction is in place - I don't believe anyone has suggested otherwise. For most A roads any restriction only applies to part of their length, e.g. the A505 near Baldock, where it goes through the tunnel - or those parts of the A1 where it is the A1(M). Very few A roads are restricted in their entirety.

Fair do's, although I would imagine that the word "suggested" is open to interpretation as to prior posts in this thread that have appeared to state outright that we can cycle on any A road de facto.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
A lorry driver of many years told me in the transport industry aggregate lorry drivers are known for their, er, press on style of driving.
There was a road near Frome that I went on a few years ago - one of the few that I've ever just been really rather scared on. It was relatively fine after the quarry...

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I was amazed to see a cyclist on the stretch of the A42 linking the M42 to the M1. The only difference between the M42 and that stretch of the A42 being the lack of a hard shoulder. It has very few entry or exit points and is graded much like a motorway. While perfectly legal I imagine it would be the most unpleasant place to cycle, the noise level alone being unbearable.
I called the police once because there was a cyclist on the A34 past Oxford in rush hour at late dusk with no lights on. Unfortunately no-where to pull over to stop him. He must have had balls of steel or be exceptionally stupid. Or both.

Globalti

Legendary Member
An A road in Scotland, yesterday:

270711%2B449.JPG

Attachments

• 270711%2B434.JPG
    270711%2B434.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 270711%2B449.JPG
    270711%2B449.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Did he have a bright pink bag cover?
It was a couple a years ago but from memory all in dark clothing.

cubey

Über Member
B roads much more dangerous IMHO, much narrower and bendier.^_^ Although you do need to time your rides, going out at the rush hour is a no-no for me. But the most dangerous of places are roundabouts. Two bad ones near me, as you can see you need to use extreme caution.

screencapture-google-co-uk-maps-53-6789494-1-50007.png

screencapture-google-co-uk-maps-53-6943969-1-50387.png

si_c

Guru
B roads much more dangerous IMHO, much narrower and bendier.^_^ Although you do need to time your rides, going out at the rush hour is a no-no for me. But the most dangerous of places are roundabouts. Two bad ones near me, as you can see you need to use extreme caution.

From above they don't look too bad, you just have to position yourself as if you were a car, and follow the appropriate lanes, the trouble occurs when you try to keep left and let cars squeeze you out or left hook you. I find if you take the lane and behave like a car, other road users, for the most part, tend to treat you as one.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
It isn't the cars going past at 50 you have to worry about, on the A roads. It's the LGVs / PSVs. I rode up the A34 from Newbury to Oxford a couple of years ago. Hilariously, bits of it are officially a cycle route.

I drive down there to get to my parents. I've seen the cycle markings at the side of the road but obviously as I would be going up to 50 mph myself I am always going too fast to look closely at it. I have never seen a cyclist, probably because it doesn't look like it is properly separated from the traffic, just runs up the side of the lanes. Not safe at all.

I drive down there to get to my parents. I've seen the cycle markings at the side of the road but obviously as I would be going up to 50 mph myself I am always going too fast to look closely at it. I have never seen a cyclist, probably because it doesn't look like it is properly separated from the traffic, just runs up the side of the lanes. Not safe at all.

I did it once, as an experiment, never again. The worst bit is the long drag up to Chievely, it's a steep hill, badly surfaced, with lorries elephant racing up it, and it's not separated from the traffic.

Ajax Bay

Guru
you just have to position yourself as if you were a car, and follow the appropriate lanes
This ^^^^^ (at a roundabout): position and 'think' like a car; or get off and walk the bike across the various exits on the route a pedestrian would take.

Top Bottom