My Neck/Back Hurts While Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Set your general position in the order:
Crank length
Saddle height
Saddle layback
Bar length
Bar height.
Then make repeat adjustments as one factor affects another.

Once your general position is good for you, fine tune:
Bar angle/shape
Saddle angle
Brake position.

The best guide for non racers is by Peter White.
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.php
Many guides make assumptions about how you want to ride or how athletic and flexible you are.

Also check that you are riding symetrically, with flexed elbows, straight wrist, relaxed shoulders static hips, a straight back and not cranking your neck back or sideways.

If there's discomfort in the first place. Just because someone (an awful lot of riders across a massive spectrum) ride in a position you don't like or can't ride in, doesn't mean it's causing issues generally. Saddle too high yes, too low sometimes - likewise with bars - saddle higher than bars not so much as bikes are now designed this way.

Flat out dismissing positions based on your own assertion they're uncomfortable is frankly, oft repeated bollox.

Does your HR elevate when you see this?

View attachment 576284
A lot of enthusiast club riders started as teenagers and grew into that position. In my touring club, some riders used a deep drop position, others used bars 3" higher than saddle. On average, tourists set the bars level or just below the saddle.
The aero advantage of aero position only counts if you ride very fast.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A lot of enthusiast club riders started as teenagers and grew into that position. In my touring club, some riders used a deep drop position, others used bars 3" higher than saddle. On average, tourists set the bars level or just below the saddle.
The aero advantage of aero position only counts if you ride very fast.
And a lot also didn't yet the positions are still the same. Saddle above bars - it's almost as if they were designed that way.

None of my bikes have the saddle anywhere close to the bars, nothing to do with aero or pretending to be pro, I could take any one of them on a tour.

Jack Laney

Im going to assume here that your neck/back isnt supposed to be hurting during and after you finish a cycle....?

Every time I cycle, my neck is slightly paining as well as my lower back. Thus saying this, im going to assume that I need to either raise my seat or I need to raise the handlebar frame.... or both...? Is one supposed to be higher than the other...?

If you need height to assess, then I am 6'3

Many thanks on any help here

Saddle and handle bar height does have an impact, but fitness also has a part to play as it can impact your posture.

its easy to try and lock out your arms and hunch your back (I'm guilty of this) which can cause tension in your neck, shoulders and lower back. try bending you elbow slightly, tight core and slightly high chest. this works wonders for me.

Stretching, to improve my flexibility also really helped with the pain.

That being said there will always be slight aches and pains when on long rides.

boydj

Legendary Member
Core strength is important in helping you maintain a good position, especially if you have the bars below the saddle.

Cycling_Samurai

I learned that having the right bike size to start with is very important. My bike is one size too big. But it's doable. I have a shorter stem to adjust for the tube length and moved the seat up. Like others have said start with your feet, ensure your crank arm length isn't too short or long, then your seat position isn't in front of the crank, ensure you have the proper height, your seat should be level, then consider your reach, adjust your seat position and stem length accordingly. That should sort it out. If it doesn't continue to work on it. Maybe the bike isn't right for you. Perhaps you need to do some strength training. If all that still fails Drago can help you. If you don't like Drago, then Ming the Merciless will sort you out. :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
I aggravated a neck problem when I began to do 100 milers. I eventually had to have root nerve steriod injection to settle trapped nerve.

My recovery was to raise the handlebars 75mm with a riser. After my nerve issue settled down, I lowered the handlebars bit by bit.

I found during my recovery, that if I kept my neck straight, not canted upwards. I now ride looking mainly looking through my eyebrows, but with straight neck. No problems with all day riding.

Riding a bike is not a static position activity. Move about, different hand position, stand up regularly to relieve backside, stretching back. All these movements allow longer rides

OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
I just raised my saddle, however I thought I could raise up the front bar on the giant e+2 bike, but it doesnt seem you can raise it up. (You can loosen the screws to swivel up or down the drop handle bar, but there isnt a way to actually raise the height of the actual full unit...?)

Unless Im seeing something wrong or there is a hidden screw

Top Bottom