My Neck/Back Hurts While Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vanmoofy

Regular
Im going to assume here that your neck/back isnt supposed to be hurting during and after you finish a cycle....?

Every time I cycle, my neck is slightly paining as well as my lower back. Thus saying this, im going to assume that I need to either raise my seat or I need to raise the handlebar frame.... or both...? Is one supposed to be higher than the other...?

If you need height to assess, then I am 6'3

Many thanks on any help here

vickster

Legendary Member
What bike?
what size? Presumably right for your height?
how your general fitness? Your core? Your posture?
how long have you been cycling?

OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
What bike? GIANT E+2 ROAD EBIKE

what size? Presumably right for your height? ITS AN L (right for my height as I saw their chart... I thought XL would have been a bit too big maybe for me)

how your general fitness? (Could be better - cardio wise) Your core? (Could be better id say) Your posture? (Could be better).... However all of these things put together, Id say im pretty good per se.

how long have you been cycling? (Id say two months on and off)

vickster

Legendary Member
How far are you riding before the pain neck pain starts?
can you flip the handlebar stem?
did the shop do any sort of fit for you?
only you know if you need to raise the saddle...try it. Leg should be slightly bent when heel on pedal at its lowest point
You could maybe start doing some stretching / Pilates :okay: especially if you have a sedentary job/lifestyle

OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
I can flip stem and increase the height of the bar as well; ill do that shortly - I can tell thatll cure the problem :sad:

Well yesterday I rode around 28 miles in total (Neck pain probably kicked in around 5-9 miles in - only a rough guess)

I havent been to a shop yet for the bike - it was already affixed with my size and delivered to me

also ive noticed when riding sometimes my kneecap has a slight pain (it is always the right kneecap)

Sharky

Guru
Well yesterday I rode around 28 miles in total (Neck pain probably kicked in around 5-9 miles in - only a rough guess)
If you've only been riding for 2 months or so and this would be through the cold winter months, 28 miles or 2hr rides are a bit on the long side for this time of year. Stick to an hour for a couple of months until the body adjusts. I rarely ride for longer than 90 minutes and up to this point, mostly ache free, but when I venture a bit further, aches are quick to appear. When the longer distance become the norm (when it gets warmer/lighter), the aches start to disappear.

Good luck

Two questions aimed at the basics:

a) Wearing your cycling shoes, sit on your bike (supporting yourself), put one heel on the pedal and rotate backwards until your leg is at its straightest. At that point, with your heel firmly touching the pedal, how straight is your leg?

b) How far above/below the level of the top of your saddle is the level of the top of your handlebars?

byegad

Legendary Member
Buy a recumbent.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't use the riding positions found on GCN road bikes as an example of a comfort set-up though. If comfort matters, take your clues from bikes used by hardened cycle tourists, who are often riding for several hours a day on consecutive days.
You will rarely encounter a proper touring bike where the bars are set much lower than the saddle, they will usually be within about an inch of each other. Then look at some of the extreme roadie positions, it's hardly surprising people are getting neck and back pain.

Top Bottom