My new best friend (Pic heavy)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Not that he deserves it, mind...:cursing:
Now that's true!

machew

Veteran
Chain not on the big ring for a photo... thats like not breathing in when some one points the camera and shouts "Smile"
Yup thats a rule #26 breach

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Well this thread seems to have generated a little bit of interest again so it's probably time for an update.
The Rose got put away in October, I'm back on the Defy or the clunking anvil depending on the weather and my mood (also mechanicals like the BB on the Defy going last week :cursing:)
In the 4 months I was using the Rose we did around 4k miles or so. Rather boringly in some respects there really is nothing much to report. There has been nothing that has twitched or slipped or rattled or twanged. I love riding it, it's as simple as that, it brings a smile to my face everytime I swing my leg over it. I love how it feels going downhill, uphill or on the flat. I went for the semi compact (I have a compact on the Defy) my thinking was that the slightly higher gearing would be offset by the weight saving, this certainly seems to be the case as I am generally quicker up the local climbs when I can be bothered. The only thing which I would criticise are the Mavic tyres which came shipped with the Krysiums, I thought they were shockingly bad, particularly in the wet. However, I swapped those out for my tried and tested Pro 4s after about a month and all was good with the world again.
I suppose that's about it, I can't praise it highly enough. I've had no cause to go back to Rose (actually that's not strictly true they forgot/didn't bother to put the Mavic wheel warranty sheet and Krysium spoke key in with the welcome pack but a quick email and it was soon posted out) so cannot comment on their after sales in the event of a real issue. I did fire off a number of emails to them throughout the process which they always answered, although as I've said up thread the replies were certainly not what you'd describe as friendly, not that they were rude I suppose it was more a case of "Here's your answer, we know what we're doing, now bugger off and let us build your bike!" It arrived, give or take, on the date they said it was going to. Would I buy off them again, damn right I would!!
I've probably put much the same on other threads but from order to 4k or so miles down the road, 5 stars.

Just buy one, that's all there is to it :okay:

Just one more thing, it looks bloody gorgeous and I have never seen another one on the road and that makes it even more special as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I think I've said it before on another thread, but this is exactly what we all need. Honest reviews, with no rants, from a user. Glad you love the bike.
I've used rose bikes for clothing and lights and they have always been spot on. In fact you've spurred me on to write a review of the shorts and longs I've got.

martinclive

Über Member
I've had no cause to go back to Rose

Posted this before - but my Rose came with wrong cassette (12-25 vs the 11-28 ordered) and strangely one 23mm and one 25mm tyre (25mms were ordered).
I mailed them and they immediately posted me out the correct cassette and a tyre with no need for me to return the original parts - so I basically gained a cassette and a tyre!
Everyone can make mistakes (as they did) but they fixed it without fuss or hassle or cost to me.......so no complaints - would use them again in a heartbeat.
(And 2 years on - still loving the bike)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Have seen other criticism of the Mavic tyres. No complaints from me. I ran them until a dangerous looking blip appeared in the front, and the changed to GP4000S's. (As I've posted elsewhere) the only other thing I'd change if I was ordering again would be to specify a standard Ritchey seatpost clamp, as you are so restricted in saddle choice with a monolink clamp, although I got on fine with the SLS, other saddles are more comfortable for me. (I've replaced the monolink clamp with a standard Ritchey one - available for a few pounds)

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Have seen other criticism of the Mavic tyres. No complaints from me. I ran them until a dangerous looking blip appeared in the front, and the changed to GP4000S's. (As I've posted elsewhere) the only other thing I'd change if I was ordering again would be to specify a standard Ritchey seatpost clamp, as you are so restricted in saddle choice with a monolink clamp, although I got on fine with the SLS, other saddles are more comfortable for me. (I've replaced the monolink clamp with a standard Ritchey one - available for a few pounds)
I wouldn't argue with that, well, I would with the Mavic tyres bit I had them skip out on a couple of occasions in the wet and it certainly wasn't when cornering hard, but yes I've had more comfortable saddles, it's not uncomfortable but there are more comfortable out there and yes it would appear that replacement choices are limited with regards to the monolink clamp. However I'll cross that bridge when I come to it and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the bike :smile:

Top Bottom