My new bike in 4 months - On One 456 Mountain bike!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The hardcore bit is the 140mm forks and slack head angle, making it an aggressive monster on the descents. It's typical Pennine fare, designed to go downhill fast, but fast to climb as well. It ain't designed for sweet singletrack, it's designed for the likes of Lee Quarry. The green bike is a steel 456.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eM1_MgMJgI

The reason they bill it as a first is, yes, there have been plenty of carbon bikes, but they were mild-mannered XC stuff with 80 or 100mm travel. This thing is more of a hooligan.

lukesdad

The hardcore bit is the 140mm forks and slack head angle, making it an aggressive monster on the descents. It's typical Pennine fare, designed to go downhill fast, but fast to climb as well. It ain't designed for sweet singletrack, it's designed for the likes of Lee Quarry. The green bike is a steel 456.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eM1_MgMJgI

The reason they bill it as a first is, yes, there have been plenty of carbon bikes, but they were mild-mannered XC stuff with 80 or 100mm travel. This thing is more of a hooligan.

We used to call them downhill bikes cubist. ^_^

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yob's bike, gloriously, splendidly so, a two-wheeled hooligan, and none the worse for it. I'm profoundly jealous xx( though it isn't built for my 'style' of riding.:cuppa:

Francesca, you know such a splendid machine will require, or create in others an expectation of, rider skills to match... best get practising!:thumbsup:

From an Apollo to a carbon 456 "That's one small step for a girl and a giant leap for moutainbike kind."

OP
OP
Francesca

Francesca

Yob's bike, gloriously, splendidly so, a two-wheeled hooligan, and none the worse for it. I'm profoundly jealous xx( though it isn't built for my 'style' of riding.:cuppa:

Francesca, you know such a splendid machine will require, or create in others an expectation of, rider skills to match... best get practising!:thumbsup:

From an Apollo to a carbon 456 "That's one small step for a girl and a giant leap for moutainbike kind."
Cheers Greg -been practising today..and yes it is a giant leap for mountainbike kind!!:thumbsup:

jethro10

Über Member

It certainly is a big step.
I know when I went from a Carrera Vulcan to a home build, it was massive.
so good, the wife had to have one also ;-)
Enjoy... it'll be way more fun

Jeff

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If I had to choose one do-it-all hardtail MTB to ride everywhere the reviews and write-ups of the 456 incarnations suggest it is the family to go for.

Peteaud

Veteran
From the Appollo to thst bike, dont mess about do ya!

The difference will be astounding.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I assume this is the one:-
http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2011/07/28/1499-carbon-456-x9-stock
Just looking at it again, it's quite long travel, probably a 5" or 6" and more of a big hitter than a lightweight nimble cross country bike. Is that what your after?

Jeff
Geometry is set up for "up to 160mm fork". A mate of mine has a 456 carbon with a 140 on. It's very, very light and I think it's very very nice. He hates it 'cos it creaks.

I may even make a bid for the frame.

Top Bottom