My new bike in 4 months - On One 456 Mountain bike!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Geometry is set up for "up to 160mm fork". A mate of mine has a 456 carbon with a 140 on. It's very, very light and I think it's very very nice. He hates it 'cos it creaks.

I may even make a bid for the frame.
As on-one say, what ever fork you put on it the geometry is the same when it has bottomed out! Harsh mistress logic.

02GF74

Über Member
it will be like chalk and very exclusive cheese - it will beso much better.

btw wherre is that quarry?

Cubist

Still wavin'

jethro10

Über Member
There's an On-one £1499 Carbon hardtail review in April's Mountain Biking UK magazine.
Can't remember the model, but can't be many that match the criteria of Carbon/hardtail/£1499 from one manufacturer? Might be worth a read?

Jeff

Cyclist33

Spanner in the works, and its youre cash n all that... But arent you overbuying? I mean, a full carbon xc bike. Why not train up on a decent metal hardtail for half the price, upgrade if you want to later with the spare cash. From your video it looks like itd be the equivalent of me buying a ferrari having just passed my driving test.

Stu

OP
OP
Francesca

Francesca

Spanner in the works, and its youre cash n all that... But arent you overbuying? I mean, a full carbon xc bike. Why not train up on a decent metal hardtail for half the price, upgrade if you want to later with the spare cash. From your video it looks like itd be the equivalent of me buying a ferrari having just passed my driving test.

Stu
nah ! I know where you are coming from, but I getting it soon.

Cyclist33

Let me just qualify I didn't mean your clip wasn't cool... was just trying to save you a bit of money!! But enjoy - it looks like a corking bike :smile:

Stu

OP
OP
Francesca

Francesca

Let me just qualify I didn't mean your clip wasn't cool... was just trying to save you a bit of money!! But enjoy - it looks like a corking bike :smile:

Stu
lol!:laugh:thanks Stu, my video clip was crap, but like I said, I was chuft that I could get my ass over back seat, I know you were only giving good advice , and no offence taken, when I get the bike I will post some piccies here.
Fran :thumbsup:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
economically I don't think you can beat going as high end as you can afford from the off. Saves loads of money on the intermediate bikes.

jethro10

Über Member
economically I don't think you can beat going as high end as you can afford from the off. Saves loads of money on the intermediate bikes.
I agree.
and another "hidden" cost is stuff you need as part of the bike after getting it like:-

Saddle - Most folk I know try 2 or 3 before they get one that is comfortable for their bum. I was onto my 4th :-( and suprisingly ended up with a charge spoon, the most unlikely candidate that I find so comfortable and the two folk who tried it before me blame all kinds of medical problems on it ;-)

Tyres - When I started off I though, nah, just fit MTB tyres. Again, you soon start to learn you abilities and route choices and most likely dump the fitted ones and try one or two more pairs.

Pedals - I use pinned pedals and they can all feel different, plus the choice of shoes to feel the pedal through. My wife chose 5:10 Karver, I'm on an old pair of Duff skateboard shoes but getting Teva Spash soon.

You can easily add a 100 quid or 2 to the initial purchase before your all settled.

Jeff

Cubist

Still wavin'
If Fran can afford the 456 then I would very much advise her to go for it. I think I get what Cyclist33 is saying, but Fran is already on a budget MTB, so she will be "time served" as far as lugging heavyweight componentry round the countryside is concerned. . Why should she have to go through a series of stages of buying increasingly more expensive bikes until she lands where she will be on the On-One? As Gregg says, she will lose money hand over fist.

We must try to avoid insisting on particular budgets for beginners. Ferraris have engines and are pigs to control even for an experienced driver, but a featherweight (albeit aggressive geometry mtb) will be an absolute joy to ride no matter what the rider's level of ability.

Go for it Fran, if that's what you fancy, and what will keep you riding.

OP
OP
Francesca

Francesca

If Fran can afford the 456 then I would very much advise her to go for it. I think I get what Cyclist33 is saying, but Fran is already on a budget MTB, so she will be "time served" as far as lugging heavyweight componentry round the countryside is concerned. . Why should she have to go through a series of stages of buying increasingly more expensive bikes until she lands where she will be on the On-One? As Gregg says, she will lose money hand over fist.

We must try to avoid insisting on particular budgets for beginners. Ferraris have engines and are pigs to control even for an experienced driver, but a featherweight (albeit aggressive geometry mtb) will be an absolute joy to ride no matter what the rider's level of ability.

Go for it Fran, if that's what you fancy, and what will keep you riding.
Cheers Cubist many thanks for that:thumbsup:

Top Bottom