My new bike in 4 months - On One 456 Mountain bike!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jethro10

Über Member
We must try to avoid insisting on particular budgets for beginners. Ferraris have engines and are pigs to control even for an experienced driver, but a featherweight (albeit aggressive geometry mtb) will be an absolute joy to ride no matter what the rider's level of ability.

Yes, and not just beginners, ability levels also.
I'm 51 in a few weeks, been MTBing for several years, and I'm sure almost anyone would ride my home built £2K bike better than me. But I'm not buying a cheaper bike just cos I can't get the best out of mine ^_^ I love how it feels, even if it "feels" better than my abilities!
As long as you buy the right type, be it XC or Downhill etc.
Jeff

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yes, and not just beginners, ability levels also.
I'm 51 in a few weeks, been MTBing for several years, and I'm sure almost anyone would ride my home built £2K bike better than me. But I'm not buying a cheaper bike just cos I can't get the best out of mine ^_^ I love how it feels, even if it "feels" better than my abilities!
As long as you buy the right type, be it XC or Downhill etc.
Jeff
In Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide there was a prostitute at some space port who would reassure punters that it was alright to be rich. Her job, for cash, was to allay the guilt others heaped on the wealthy. It sometimes feels like we should be heading down the same route. It appears only permissible to own exotica when you have earned it. The "all the gear and no idea" concept is overblown in a world of conspicuous consumption. I say, if you've got it, and can afford a carbon beauty dripping with XTR etc, then go for it. In order to put Fran's ambition into perspective, folk shouldn't forget that when I bought my Cube, the Ti HTC hardtail was 5p short of 8 grand...... .....

There is a practical point in the words of caution though. When you are learning you tend to fall off a lot. Carbon is much more vulnerable in falls that a good steel frame and much less repairable. It might be an idea to get all the falling off done on a cheaper steel frame and then swap to carbon when you are more experienced.

In Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide there was a prostitute at some space port who would reassure punters that it was alright to be rich. Her job, for cash, was to allay the guilt others heaped on the wealthy. It sometimes feels like we should be heading down the same route. It appears only permissible to own exotica when you have earned it. The "all the gear and no idea" concept is overblown in a world of conspicuous consumption. I say, if you've got it, and can afford a carbon beauty dripping with XTR etc, then go for it. In order to put Fran's ambition into perspective, folk shouldn't forget that when I bought my Cube, the Ti HTC hardtail was 5p short of 8 grand...... .....

Here, here. I will never do my CAAD10 justice as I'm simply not fit enough and frankly I'm too old to try and get that fit. However, it was what I wanted I could afford it, (one way or another:whistle:) so I bought it, simple as that.
Word of caution though, as GC says, while buying as high end as you can will save a shed load of money on intermediate bikes when coming into this from Fran's position, it won't stop you hankering after upgrades, mods and general bling, and that applies to road and MTB in my case history :whistle: , (though I'm strictly road now) ^_^

VamP

Banned
There is a practical point in the words of caution though. When you are learning you tend to fall off a lot. Carbon is much more vulnerable in falls that a good steel frame and much less repairable. It might be an idea to get all the falling off done on a cheaper steel frame and then swap to carbon when you are more experienced.

Nah, tryin' is lyin' and all that. The better you are the more risks you're taking - the more catastrophic your falls.

Best way to rationalize it is that a frame is just another wear and tear item. You brake it, either get it fixed, or get a new one. Same with all the other components. Just my tupenny's,... but I'm right :whistle:

Top Bottom