My new Brommie is here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well I picked up my nice new Brompton M6L yesterday from On Your Bike in Tooley Street. What a joy it was to deal with such a lovely bike shop, I thoroughly recommend them. Then it was out into the busy South London streets along the lower Embankment to Waterloo and over Westminster Bridge to work at Victoria Station. I seemed to catch every set of lights, and a fair few nutty White Van Men, but still made it in 23 minutes which I thought was good on a strange bike. First impressions were very positive. The twitchiness expected from the small wheels turned out to be not much different from my 20" Trek wheels and the Brooks saddle was comfortable from the start....result! I think this is going to be a wonderful relationship with a class bike. I think I'm in love, lol.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Nice one, hope you love it, never ridden one and not that common around here, but i guess perfect for London.
Nice day to start too, just before the big freeze.

Stay safe.

chap

Veteran
TheBoyBilly said:
Well I picked up my nice new Brompton M6L yesterday from On Your Bike in Tooley Street. What a joy it was to deal with such a lovely bike shop, I thoroughly recommend them. Then it was out into the busy South London streets along the lower Embankment to Waterloo and over Westminster Bridge to work at Victoria Station. I seemed to catch every set of lights, and a fair few nutty White Van Men, but still made it in 23 minutes which I thought was good on a strange bike. First impressions were very positive. The twitchiness expected from the small wheels turned out to be not much different from my 20" Trek wheels and the Brooks saddle was comfortable from the start....result! I think this is going to be a wonderful relationship with a class bike. I think I'm in love, lol.

Good for you, and yes to 'On your bike', they seem a very respectable shop. My initial experience was an interesting affair, I was not used to cycling in London - especially during rush hour, and this was not a time to adjust to the odd fell of a strange new bike. Although, on the second go I loved it.

I am considering a Brooks saddle, although perhaps the New Year Sales are to wait for. Any way, enjoy the bike, and I recommend you cycle through the centre (esp. past the Houses of Parliament) at night (and early in the weekend mornings) when there are few cars, and all is relatively still. London, presents itself at its finest.

StuartG

slower but further
Brommies & London are made for each other ... My shop mods were the Brooks saddle and Kevlars. I've since added the rolling wheels (great when supermarket shopping) and an old Klickfix based handlebar bag to my M3. The Klickfix has to be set slightly off centre so as not to impede folding.

I have also fitted reelight SL120 - the induction powered lighting system from Denmark - so no batteries, no dynamos and always on. And they fit! Not quite legal as the Brommies small wheels mean they are below the minimum height from the road I believe. However, I only get smiles from the local constabulary for actually having lights and having them all the time.

It is a special joy taking it on the tube ...

OP
OP
TheBoyBilly

TheBoyBilly

Well it's been a fortnight or so since I got my Brompton and I must say I couldn't be more pleased with it. It has handled the worst of the snow and slush around London superbly and I have even felt (quite) sure-footed on the icy stuff. The bike needs a bloody good clean now mind, but I've got all the stuff ready for that little job. What a joy these bikes are.

Bongo Bill

TheBoyBilly said:
Well it's been a fortnight or so since I got my Brompton and I must say I couldn't be more pleased with it. It has handled the worst of the snow and slush around London superbly and I have even felt (quite) sure-footed on the icy stuff. The bike needs a bloody good clean now mind, but I've got all the stuff ready for that little job. What a joy these bikes are.

I have always been tempted to buy one. I might take the plunge after reading this!

OP
OP
TheBoyBilly

TheBoyBilly

I have been amazed, even though I was warned beforehand, at how many times that I am stopped on my commute to discuss the merits of a Brommie. It is always good comments that I receive until asked how much it cost me (£750, bought on the Cycle2Work scheme, since you ask) I then go on to explain that although they are relatively expensive, they are a bike you buy for the long-term and mine will pay for itself in spades. Probably the best transport investment you could make.

Bill

trsleigh

TheBoyBilly said:
It is always good comments that I receive until asked how much it cost me (£750, bought on the Cycle2Work scheme, since you ask) I then go on to explain that although they are relatively expensive, they are a bike you buy for the long-term and mine will pay for itself in spades. Probably the best transport investment you could make.

Bill

Agreed, I use my for zone 1 to 3 commuting. Cost of annual travel card would be £1208. = 2 Bromptons per year ( If bought on C2work ) which is robably a bit excessive for even the most dedicated n+1 fan.:cheers:

chap

Veteran
Hmm, the cycle2work scheme is really a bit of a lottery thus to most an infeasible option (alas.)

The 2010 Bromptons are going to be at least £100 more expensive (no difference other than cost) so if you are thinking of taking that jump, then do it sooner rather than later.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
TheBoyBilly said:
they are a bike you buy for the long-term and mine will pay for itself in spades. Probably the best transport investment you could make.

Bill

I liked my Brompton very much but after a while I found I wasn't using it so much- just wasn't using the train as much, and when in Paris I'd use Velib' rather than take the Brompton. Had a good few years use out of it and sold it- at a fairly low price, I could easily have got more. Only cost me about £250 over four years in the end, excluding parts (it wasn't used daily so running costs were low)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Wow, I just did a quick build of what I'd want in a Brompton on foldingbikes.co.uk, ok it includes the SON dyno hub but............£1405.00........that's a lot

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bongo Bill said:
I have always been tempted to buy one. I might take the plunge after reading this!

Do have a ride of one - they're such a fun little bike, and you'll forever be trying to find ways to make use of the fact that it folds.

(Most recent for me being accompanying Mrs Monkey to B&Q with the Brommie in the boot, loading the car to capacity, and then pottering back on the Brompton whilst she drove back with car and shopping).

Mine is used on the days that I want to get the train all the way to work, and makes the 6 mile round trip on either side of the stations much more fun. I also have the option of using the bike to nip into town, if I fancy that, without worrying about where I'll lock it up &c. Brompton luggage is also rather good.

chap

Veteran
palinurus said:
I liked my Brompton very much but after a while I found I wasn't using it so much- just wasn't using the train as much, and when in Paris I'd use Velib' rather than take the Brompton. Had a good few years use out of it and sold it- at a fairly low price, I could easily have got more. Only cost me about £250 over four years in the end, excluding parts (it wasn't used daily so running costs were low)

One of the reasons I wanted it was because I was so impressed by the Vélib scheme in Paris and wanted that degree of flexibility wherever I go.

I have mentioned it several times before, but I hope that Boris makes the London Cycle Scheme even better.

Tynan

Veteran
not pissing but don't they go through parts rather rapidly?

I did see a chap tearing along once in the city, I made a complimentary remark, he beamed something abut custom gearing and pot holes being a bit exciting

Nice one. I really want one, I think they are beautiful machines. I don't really use trains that much so can't really justify the cost and the storage for another (albeit small) bike. I'm always ogling them on the Brompton website and eBay until I get caught by the missus! Hope you enjoy it.

Top Bottom