My new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A thread to post details of your latest car purchase.

I will start with my new to me 2016 C-Max Titatnium auto 1.5 diesel.

My Meriva had done 94,000 close to trouble free miles, but was starting to need some non-routine maintenance, the latest being a battery.

I would have considered another Meriva, but they stopped making diesel autos years ago so there are no late ones to be had.

I've had two Focuses in the past, and I like the way they drive.

Occasional inside carriage of a chunky ebike means it has to be either the C-Max or estate version.

This car is ex-Motability and has only done 6,000 miles.

It is pretty much spotless inside and out.

All documents were present, including one or two Motability ones that shouldn't have been, so I know the previous owner's name, address, telephone number, and date of birth.

She's 85 - if she's still with us.

The Titanium model has more toys than I've ever had on a car, and one or two might even be useful.

Decent sounds, including DAB, CD, and it's recognised my iPod.

It also has colour touchscreen sat nav.

Doubt I will ever set that, but viewing me on the map as I bowl along is handy.

The voice control is clever, if gimmicky.

I can ask it to tell me where I am, which could be useful if it ever breaks down.

The drive and handling is sharper than the Meriva, which I prefer.

It has marginally more poke, and substantially better fuel economy.

Mid-50s should be achievable, which is about 10mpg better than the Meriva.

Road tax is only £20, the Meriva had reached close to £200.

Oddment stowage is not as good as the Meriva, but that might discourage me from filling the car with junk I rarely use.

I've only done about 250 miles so far, but I've found nothing about the car I dislike, apart from the colour - black is the one colour I wouldn't choose.

Here's a pic of my still shiny new car taken on the causeway at Holy Island.

Stompier

but was starting to need some non-routine maintenance, the latest being a battery.

You got rid of the car because it needed a new battery? About £40? Besides, 94k is nothing for a diesel.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The old dear probably only used to pop out for a pint of milk and cat food and for going to church. Did you find a hymn book in the glove box?

No, but I was a bit concerned to find a vaguely medical looking narrow plastic funnel.

I've had a pee into similar in hospital.

I need not have worried.

The car has a capless fuel filler.

Ford supply the funnel to stuff into the filler neck if you want to fill from a jerry can.

Without the funnel, you couldn't open the flap in the neck which forms the cap.

screenman

Legendary Member
Mine often come direct from Motability, I have a good customer who lets me buy on their account without them taking a mark up, I do though have to accept no warranty. I have seen cars with only 250 miles for sale on the Motab site, my Skoda had 20,000 miles at 3 years old. They are serviced properly but often not that well looked after cosmetically, but of course not in every case. I think Motability now account for about 800,000 vehicles on our roads.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
If you insist. My new car, collected yesterday

Perfect for the 3 dogs. At 26 years old not without it's problems, but the 65 mile drive home from collecting it was very relaxing. Same family since new and sold to me by the original owners Son, he was quite emotional as I drove away.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mine often come direct from Motability, I have a good customer who lets me buy on their account without them taking a mark up, I do though have to accept no warranty. I have seen cars with only 250 miles for sale on the Motab site, my Skoda had 20,000 miles at 3 years old. They are serviced properly but often not that well looked after cosmetically, but of course not in every case. I think Motability now account for about 800,000 vehicles on our roads.

I don't think mine has ever hit anything, and the alloys have not been kerbed.

No presets set on the DAB radio, so I don't think she used that.

Both trip computers were showing the same as the main odometer, which means they were never reset.

The spare looks like it's never been moved.

It gives all the indication of being what it says it is.

The Motability paperwork says she was paying £445 a month for it, or rather the hire of it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've not bought a new (to me) car since August 2013 (a year old Skoda Fabia VRS DSG petrol estate in green). A hoot to drive and supremely practical, and pretty economical (for my c. 3-4k miles a year)

The last and only time I bought a brand new car was a Fiat Punto (blue, 1.2 manual) in 1997 (which a friend bought and ran into the ground doing 100k+ miles around SE London )

gbb

Legendary Member
My son has a fairly modest spec manual C Max diesel, 2015 I think...its been no problem and he likes it. Not a Ford person myself but its good you like it and it's doing what you need it to.

screenman

Legendary Member
I don't think mine has ever hit anything, and the alloys have not been kerbed.

No presets set on the DAB radio, so I don't think she used that.

Both trip computers were showing the same as the main odometer, which means they were never reset.

The spare looks like it's never been moved.

It gives all the indication of being what it says it is.

The Motability paperwork says she was paying £445 a month for it, or rather the hire of it.

It will certainly be what it says, cosmetically i mean a few scuffs here and there often on the interiors, but you get some good one's as well, I will work on a few this week that is for sure.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've not bought a new (to me) car since August 2013 (a year old Skoda Fabia VRS DSG petrol estate in green). A hoot to drive and supremely practical, and pretty economical (for my c. 3-4k miles a year)

The last and only time I bought a brand new car was a Fiat Punto (blue, 1.2 manual) in 1997 (which a friend bought and ran into the ground doing 100k+ miles around SE London )

I am looking for that make and model for Pam at the moment, one will arrive one day at the right price I am sure.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Ford supply the funnel to stuff into the filler neck if you want to fill from a jerry can.

Without the funnel, you couldn't open the flap in the neck which forms the cap.

Absolutely perfect timing. Thanks. Yesterday I had a clear out of my car bits drawer and came across the one for our 2016 focus. I threw it out as I didn't know it facilitated can filling. The dustmen are a day late due to Christmas so I'll fish it out the bag in the top of the Wheely bin.

Top Bottom