My New Catrike700R

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've 'swapped' my Optima Baron for this beauty of a Catrike. I've only commuted a couple of times on it, but after swapping the front Kojaks for Marathons, and the rear Durano for a Marathon Plus, the ride is actually as comfortable as my rear suspension Trice. I've only just swapped over the front fairing, and as the boom is a fair bit higher than the Trice, forward visibility is a tad compromised. I'll have to try it out next week, but if I can live with it, then I think the Trice will be up far sale soon. The Catrike is a heck of a lot faster, especially uphill, and now it's all set up for commuting, rack, panniers, fairing etc it's weighing in at 21kg.....a good 8kg lighter than the Trice. It's also (imho) handles better, looks better, and just feels a nicer ride all round.

Here she is!

side2.jpg

side.jpg

front.jpg

34rear.jpg

Nice looking 700 you got , happy triking! ps go get them DF.s

Nope hit 39mph downhill , nice fast comfy bent Baron but find it a little on the low side prob sell for a mid or highracer, do like the look of Gaucho Highracer 700c x2 wheels and most of all suspension which would be better for my messed up spine. Going into hospital within 6 mths to have a Neural Spine Stimulator, hopefully will be much better after op. Have fun with your catrike 700 R.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I love the Catrike 700. And if I had the space I would have one.
My own personal opinion and please don't take offence. But All that stuff you have plastered over it just ruins a fantastic looking trike.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I love the Catrike 700. And if I had the space I would have one.
My own personal opinion and please don't take offence. But All that stuff you have plastered over it just ruins a fantastic looking trike.

Not offended, it's each to their own (as with tatoos:whistle: ). The screen can be removed in seconds, but the reasons for riding with it on are fourfold.

Firstly, safety. I am far more likely to be seen by other road users.
Secondly, it gives me a few more mph top speed.
Thirdly, weather protection.
Fourthly, it's a bit of a talking point. I get far more comments from folk with the fairing than without.

Do you notice the much heavier marathons ?

I am amazed how heavy they are but I guess that's the trade off for almost puncture proof tyres ?

Duranos for me !!

Before I started commuting on the Catrike I swapped the tyres (durano and kojaks) for a Marathon+ rear (25mm) and regular Marathons up front. I actually find these tyres faster than the original set up as my commute takes in some pretty poor road surfaces, and cobbles in the TC where narrow 'fast' tyres would actually force me to slow down. The marathon set up also provides a surprisingly comfortable ride. As the Catrike is far faster than the Trice, I'm very happy with the performance, and I just HATE swapping tubes when commuting, so it's always protection first for me.

Top Bottom