My New Commuter: Specialized Diverge 2016 or Genesis Croix de Fer 10 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TheSalisburyTeacher

TheSalisburyTeacher

Nah,that's not going to do you at all.I don't think it's going to suit you.
I'll PM you my details and address,so you can send it to me.I'll take the responsibility of slumming it for a while on that.
You don't have to thank me :thanks:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
LOL,I love it !!!!
The copper is just a great looking colour for that bike.
Nice one mate,and happy riding :thumbsup:

I LOVE the colour, it was a talking point on our ride out today. Cheers for the offer buddy!

I think the CdF was the right choice after all that deliberation!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well here she is! Arrived this morning just in time for me to use her for a 75km ride we had planned. First impressions are that the geometry is brilliant, I'm a tall chap and I felt incredibly comfy. The gearing is impressive, although I still struggled with some hills, but that's me not the bike. The brakes weren't great at first but seem to be bedding in well, they stank to high heaven when I had them on full going down Blissford Hill...

All in all I'm chuffed, she'll be a noble steed.

Edit: before anyone says anything, I know I'm not in the big ring and she's facing the wrong way, but I was still in my pyjamas and had literally just put it all together!

View attachment 119404
Very nice. I can imagine Blissford's a good test of brakes, ridden up it a couple of times (well, tried to...), never down though!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I do like the way that Genesis make a real effort to explain the thought behind the bike's design and the componentry choices that they have made. Comes across as very well considered. Much better than some of the clichéd blurb that some manufacturers put on theirs.

34x34 is a great option too. More manufacturers ought to offer this. Not all of us can clamber up Hardknott Pass with an 11x25 out back.

Just 'stumbled' across the Datum too whilst looking at the site - that's a fine looking steed!

mustang1

Legendary Member
Currently waiting for my CdF20 (carbon fork upgrade dela. Stuff deleted

Alloy frame with carbon fork and claris vs steel frame/fork and sora.... Not tried the Diverge, would lean towards the CdF anyway but worth trying both.

I thought for a commuter an alloy frame and carbon fork is better than steel frame and steel fork, no?

(Thinking about rust).

Edit typo
Edit 2: actually screw that. Your bike looks awesome! Congrats!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheSalisburyTeacher

TheSalisburyTeacher

Without wanting to tell you how to ride a bike, there is a braking technique for steep descents.

Pull the speed down lower than you want, let go to as fast as you are comfortable with, then repeat.

It's a bit easier on the brakes than pulling them on all the way down.

Thank you! No, I like going fast down hills, but this was out of my comfort zone somewhat! Next time I'll be ready...

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Without wanting to tell you how to ride a bike, there is a braking technique for steep descents.

Pull the speed down lower than you want, let go to as fast as you are comfortable with, then repeat.

It's a bit easier on the brakes than pulling them on all the way down.

That's the scary bit with rim brakes for me (I know you aren't specifically talking about them). The nearly stopping, getting back up to speed quickly and on with the brakes again whilst trying to judge bends etc can really frag me.

I go down the occasional very steep hill and I am never really 100% confident of my rim brakes - I used to have a Pace MTB with XTR Hydro's and I sorely miss them on 'steepies'.

Next bike I'm having will have discs.

Well here she is! Arrived this morning just in time for me to use her for a 75km ride we had planned. First impressions are that the geometry is brilliant, I'm a tall chap and I felt incredibly comfy. The gearing is impressive, although I still struggled with some hills, but that's me not the bike. The brakes weren't great at first but seem to be bedding in well, they stank to high heaven when I had them on full going down Blissford Hill...

All in all I'm chuffed, she'll be a noble steed.

Edit: before anyone says anything, I know I'm not in the big ring and she's facing the wrong way, but I was still in my pyjamas and had literally just put it all together!

View attachment 119404

Good choice, welcome to the club :smile:
Great colour for a CdF.

Kajjal

Guru
That's the scary bit with rim brakes for me (I know you aren't specifically talking about them). The nearly stopping, getting back up to speed quickly and on with the brakes again whilst trying to judge bends etc can really frag me.

I go down the occasional very steep hill and I am never really 100% confident of my rim brakes - I used to have a Pace MTB with XTR Hydro's and I sorely miss them on 'steepies'.

Next bike I'm having will have discs.

I went from xt disc brakes to a road bike with rim brakes and the first steep downhill was terrifying. Now have a road bike with hydraulics and back to normal.

Top Bottom