My new rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Thankfully it's only the one battery when in operation!
You can see my set up in this picture, the battery is under the saddle.
It is a bit of a brute.
Duck.jpg

The AyUp battery is more the size of a cigarette packet but less running hours.

yello

I can't say I've ever thought I needed a rear light brighter than the smart 1/2 watt. Is there a practical limit do you reckon? Or is brighter always better? I use mine in combo with a cateye TL-LD600 and have always thought that sufficient.

515mm

I did get "asked" to "sort that back light out" by one of those boy-scout-not-really-a-copper-but-think-I-am types when my rear Dinotte 140 slipped round on it's home-made mounting and upset a bus driver last winter.

It really is stupendously bright. Just make sure you have it dipped so you can't dazzle anyone........:biggrin:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The AyUps are great, dazzlingly bright, tiny, rugged and easily positionable.
I don't have a tech head on these things but went out and out to buy the brightest lights I could afford, having over the years spent a similar amount on cheaper LEDs that would end up either failing or having very short running times.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The Ayups are supposed to be very good, but an alternative to them are the Fenix P3D and L2D variants, which are also extremely bright. The nice bit is that they run on std batteries which you can replace almost anywhere.

OP
OP
Iceniner

Iceniner

Here is my current set up; 1watt BLT fantom + 3 smarts. Ive been cycling a lot at night along completely unlit roads (60mph limit A-road which people love to speed along) which a great number of HGV's and artic lorries use too.

I have to say most of the light comes from the 1watt BLT. I think this is ok for the unlit country roads ive been riding lately (i dont feel like getting squished late at night) but overkill for the city, so ill probably only run the two on the seat post.

tdr1nka - maybe i come close to your new dinotte toy!

As for front lights, Im sticking to my pair of Busch and Muller Ixon IQ's . Well worth a look as an alternative to the fenix and ayups.

Untitled2-1.jpg

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
That does outstrip the DiOnette a smidge but then thats 4 lamps you have there!

I feel the brighter lights work well on urban roads because motorists are used to cyclists having little or no lighting and are generally impressed that I am taking steps to be seen. Novelty factor if you like!:thumbsup:

Origamist

Legendary Member
We're off to Merry Hill this afternoon so I'll have a look in Decathlon. Otherwise, the Balckburn is looking appealing. And there's an ad in C+ where it's on offer for about £15.

Yep, the Blackburn Mars 4.0 looks powerful - a one watt led. I ordered it yesterday.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just bought the Blackburn Mars 3 -I must say they look to be very waterproof. This is to go along side by Cateye LD600 and my 3 watt halogen BLT rear

Top Bottom