My new wheels wont fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inky38

Just been to the local shop and bought a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels.

Fitted the cassette and tyre to the rear wheel and went to fit it to the bike, but it doesn't fit.:blush:

The drive side of the hub is a larger diameter than the non drive side.

Consequently the wheel doesn't slot into the drop outs on one side.

The drive side is 11mm and the non drive side is 9mm

I'm obviously missing something here.

Any ideas

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
what frame is it?

inky38 said:
The drive side is 11mm and the non drive side is 9mm
Eh? I find that very hard to believe indeed. Could it be that your RH drop-out is slightly closed due to a knock or the replaceable hanger not being entirely straight? Frames and hubs simply aren't manufactured with different sized axle ends/ drop-outs.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Are you sure they are not identical both sides? Their website (in the Hub sub-menu) says:

Hub
Color: black or silver
Front and rear axle material: steel
Front and rear bodies: aluminum
Front axle size: 9x100
FTS-L, steel
QRM
Rear axle size: 9,5x130

Rear axle size: 9,5x130

Have you had a pair of wheels on it?

Mavics have the usual 9mm axle to drop into the 11mm drop-outs so the non-drive side has presumably got a bit too much paint on it. They are forged alloy drop outs so you could file the area down to size - but I'd let the supplier do this if the frame is new.

OP
OP
I

inky38

mickle said:
Eh? I find that very hard to believe indeed. Could it be that your RH drop-out is slightly closed due to a knock or the replaceable hanger not being entirely straight? Frames and hubs simply aren't manufactured with different sized axle ends/ drop-outs.

I can assure you that they are different sizes on each side.

I'm thinking that the axle had been disassembled before I got it and put back together wrong

jay clock

Massive member
The drive side of the hub is a larger diameter than the non drive side.
do you mean the axle. If so, then it is hard to see how that could be possible unless the axle tapers in some way.

Take it back to the shop. and tell us what they say!

inky38 said:
I can assure you that they are different sizes on each side.

I'm thinking that the axle had been disassembled before I got it and put back together wrong

The two axles have to be the same diameter otherwise the wheel wont seat properly.

If the drive side axle is 11mm then the wrong part has been fitted to the hub as you say(probably an MTB part!)

jimboalee

If they are brand new wheels, there might be a plastic protector on the exposed length of spindle.
You may not have spotted it and removed it.

jay clock said:
a wheel with TWO axles? seems even less likely than a single axle that is thicker on one side than the other

They screw into the hub on these wheels - ie there isn't an axle as such.

OP
OP
I

inky38

Mystery solved.

Sorry guys but I figured this one out on the day that I posted this but have been away.

In actual fact I figured it out whilst lying in bed.

It suddenly dawned on me the fact that only one side of the axle had a knurled edge (to grip onto the frame when it was tightened)

So at half past midnight I went downstairs to take my wheel apart.

Sure enough, once I took off the nut on the right hand side of the wheel I realised that it had been assembled (or reassembled in the shop) incorrectly. The nut (not sure of the exact name as it's not a cone either) had been put on the wrong way round.

The nut had protrusions on each side. Each protrusion had a different diameter.

Simply putting it the right way round fixed the problem

Top Bottom