My pet hate!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Grendel said:
Then it's my personal choice to be Peed off. I do feel that the ability to hear warnings/other road users/sirens, etc is important.

But isn't the assumption that you can't hear anything else when listening to music a little bit stupid? For that matter, most riders on here won't be able to hear much anyway once above 20mph, simply due to the wind noise.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Grendel said:
So, if I see someone cycling along wearing headphones, do I assume they can hear me, or that they can't?

But assuming anything is also a bit stupid, surely? I try not to assume any other road user can see me, and I also don't assume they can hear me.

I'm sure we've all come across pedestrians who rely on their hearing when crossing the road, and stupidly walk out in front of us. Relying on your hearing when cycling is just as foolish, because looking comes first.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I ride with headphones a lot of the time on my commute. I don't use them for music, but as the headset for my mobile. If I need to answer a call, I can pull up, slip the mic out of my collar, push the button and take it. Wind noise is massive if I do it whilst rolling, so yes, I do stop.

Its a lot easier than pulling up and faffing around in the panniers looking for my mobile. :smile:

simongrant

arallsopp said:
I ride with headphones a lot of the time on my commute. I don't use them for music, but as the headset for my mobile. If I need to answer a call, I can pull up, slip the mic out of my collar, push the button and take it. Wind noise is massive if I do it whilst rolling, so yes, I do stop.

Its a lot easier than pulling up and faffing around in the panniers looking for my mobile. :smile:

Thats very responsible arallsopp,but in the eyes of grendel your just "bombing it and asking for trouble":smile:and you would certainly p*ss him off.
I dont have music all the time,audiobooks make a nice change too:smile:

Simon

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
No need for me to bomb it. I can use the mobile to call in an airstrike. God... how nice would that be? "How's my driving?... Let me make this perfectly clear."

Of course, being a responsible cyclist, I'd log the co-ordinates with fillthathole afterwards. Don't want to leave a hazard for other road users.

simongrant

Rhythm Thief said:
I couldn't do the headphones thing while riding. Apart from anything else, I like to actually listen to music, not just have it on in the background while I'm doing something else. And I do rely on my hearing when on the bike, to a certain extent.

Respect to you Rythm thief,different strokes for different folks isn't it:smile:

Regards

Simon

Top Bottom