My pet hate!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongrant

lit said:
Well as someone who does listen to music (I don't care if you disagree, it won't stop me doing it) whilst cycling from experience I have heard Sirens everytime before a emergency vehicle has past me, maybe it'd be better if you sort peoples experiences before ranting.

Well said Lit,from grendels previous posts a lot of things seem to piss him off,maybe he is just a poor cyclist and cant handle roads as well as some of us.

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
simongrant said:
Well said Lit,from grendels previous posts a lot of things seem to piss him off,maybe he is just a poor cyclist and cant handle roads as well as some of us.
Add arrogant gits to my list as well;)

simongrant

Grendel said:
I will repeat for the umpteenth kin time,earphones,10 years,40mile RT,340 ish days a year.The engine noise of a large truck will drown the noise of a small car,so i use my EYE'S,and i repeat again,i have phones at such a level than the wind often drowns it out,why do you numpties think that just coz u got phones in you are completely deaf to your surroundings??????

Numpties
With respect, bollocks.[/QUOTE]

Er,which part is bollox?

simongrant

lit said:
Your inability to engage in any kind of civil debate makes me embarrassed for you.

+1

Grendel is is a character in the Anglo-Saxon poem (NOT Norse/Viking myth) "Beowulf". He is usually understood to be a monstor; some kind of a troll:laugh:

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
Simon I have cycled before wearing earphones, on a cyclepath. I wouldn't do so on the road, and indeed wouldn't go back to doing so on a cyclepath either. You may well be able to hear adequately, if so, and you are happy to do I can't stop you.
As to the practice in general, I don't know what volume they are set at. If it's anything like the ones I hear on the train then I would be extremely surprised if they can hear anything, considering that I can hear them from about 10 feet away.
So, if I see someone cycling along wearing headphones, do I assume they can hear me, or that they can't?

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
lit said:
Your inability to engage in any kind of civil debate makes me embarrassed for you.

Your writing off everyone who doesn't agree with you strikes me as arrogant.
Incidentally, I am working, so if I don't reply immediately, please respect that without saying that I am unable to engage in civil debate. I cannot spend my time typing out war and peace just to keep you amused.

simongrant

Im sure i would have my MP3 on at a different level on a train,no traffic to hear on a train.Thats a very poor comparison.

And still no explanation of which part was bollox,i will ask again for the third time?

lit

Grendel said:
Your writing off everyone who doesn't agree with you strikes me as arrogant.
Incidentally, I am working, so if I don't reply immediately, please respect that without saying that I am unable to engage in civil debate. I cannot spend my time typing out war and peace just to keep you amused.

I'm not writing off everyone who disagrees, I have no problem with anyone willing to debate in a civil manner but you wern't debating at all, just ranting.

I wasn't asking for war and peace, just a sign of intelligent debate.

Regarding assuming they can/can't hear you, assume the worst and you can't go wrong.

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
simongrant said:
Im sure i would have my MP3 on at a different level on a train,no traffic to hear on a train.Thats a very poor comparison.

And still no explanation of which part was bollox,i will ask again for the third time?

For gawds sake, this is getting tedious.
I quote:
"why do you numpties think that just coz u got phones in you are completely deaf to your surroundings??????"

Simon.
I have given you my reason.
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT VOLUME YOUR BLOODY HEADPHONES ARE SET AT.
So, if I see someone cycling along wearing headphones, do I assume they can hear me, or that they can't?

I'm using capitals as you are probably wearing headphones and can't hear me.

simongrant

POst#8 Besides on windy days it tends to drown out the mp3 player anyway

Post#26 ,i have phones at such a level than the wind often drowns it out

From the MUSIC thread post#26 I can comfortably have a conversation with peds motorists and other cyclists with my headphones in and like i said previously 10 years 40mile RT 340ish days a year without incident.

simongrant

Grendel said:
For gawds sake, this is getting tedious.
I quote:
"why do you numpties think that just coz u got phones in you are completely deaf to your surroundings??????"

Simon.
I have given you my reason.
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT VOLUME YOUR BLOODY HEADPHONES ARE SET AT.

I'm using capitals as you are probably wearing headphones and can't hear me.

A car/bus/lorry/motorcycle won't hear you either,concentrate on your own riding instead of being obsessed with how others ride

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
simongrant said:
What really pisses me off is car drivers with a stereo on and/or talking to passengers in the vehicle.As a cyclist this puts me in so much more danger.

Presumably then grendel a cyclist without headphones would just be going a along at a good clip rather than "bombing it".Ever thought of writing for the tabloids??? What about motorcyclists with helmets on?,tried a colleagues on one time,couldnt hear very much at all,was like being underwater.

I'm wondering Simon, why you resurrected a thread which had been dormant for six months? It was pointed out to me at the time that this has been covered elsewhere, and I then joined in the discussion on that thread. I noticed then that you have had a go at me throughout the thread, and got a bit annoyed at one point as I wasn't replying (I'm nightshift, so during the day I go to bed strangely enough).

Anyway, to answer some of the points which you raised:
1) My original post, way back in April:
I'm a cyclist, and a car driver, so I do give consideration to cycles when I am approaching them. However if there is one thing that P's me off, it's seeing a cyclist bombing along with headphones on.;)
Really, they are just asking for trouble.
Anyone agree?

You complained about the use of the word bombing:
Presumably then grendel a cyclist without headphones would just be going a along at a good clip rather than "bombing it".Ever thought of writing for the tabloids??? What about motorcyclists with helmets on?,tried a colleagues on one time,couldnt hear very much at all,was like being underwater.
You could change bombing to bimbling, to cycling, to crawling. It's irrelevant.

2)Hi Trev,im not having a pop at motorcyclists just wondering if they piss grendel off
Why should they? Unless they are ridden by kids on cyclepaths then they are legitimate road users. Some are bad, some are good. I'll take them as I find them.

3) cmon grendel speak up,like you hackbike,been wearing em for years at an appropiate level of course and in my opinion being visually aware is more important than anything else.Besides on windy days it tends to drown out the mp3 player anyway,perhaps we should stop cycling when its windy.

I was busy, in fact I don't think I was on here at that time.

4) In response to a post about a chap who was killed by a train while wearing an ipod:
And obviously this dickhead would have done the same if a 20 foot sign came down in front of him and said TRAIN COMING STOP.
Jeez, you're all heart.

5) who is arguing it doesn't exist???Everytime you leave your house,on a bike in a car or on foot there are risks,thats life,one big risk from start to finish.I dont need a lecture from the cycling nanny brigade.All you nanny types achieve is exaggerate the risks of cycling and put lots of people off cycling,fkin doom merchants

Like I said before, you write off any other view than your own, that's arrogant in the extreme. There are risks, some repect them more than others.

6)Well said Lit,from grendels previous posts a lot of things seem to piss him off,maybe he is just a poor cyclist and cant handle roads as well as some of us.
A poor quality personal attack designed to provoke a response. You know nothing of my ability on a bike, so in that respect I think that perhaps you should wind your neck in.

Top Bottom