My pet hate!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grendel

Veteran
I'm a cyclist, and a car driver, so I do give consideration to cycles when I am approaching them. However if there is one thing that P's me off, it's seeing a cyclist bombing along with headphones on.:biggrin:
Really, they are just asking for trouble.
Anyone agree?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Nope. See the other thread.

simongrant

What really pisses me off is car drivers with a stereo on and/or talking to passengers in the vehicle.As a cyclist this puts me in so much more danger.

Presumably then grendel a cyclist without headphones would just be going a along at a good clip rather than "bombing it".Ever thought of writing for the tabloids??? What about motorcyclists with helmets on?,tried a colleagues on one time,couldnt hear very much at all,was like being underwater.

simongrant

Hi Trev,im not having a pop at motorcyclists just wondering if they piss grendel off.From your signature i take it you like your motorbikes too? Personally always had great interactions with motorcyclists at red lights etc,you know,a smile a nod of the head etc

Simon

Ps,What really pisses me off is car drivers with a stereo on and/or talking to passengers in the vehicle.As a cyclist this puts me in so much more danger.

This was pure sarcasm lol

I first started using headphones!?!?!? in 1985 although I try to keep them small and not obvious to the moton.Don't know what the problem is here.

Obviously you have a reason for disliking cyclists with headphones.

On a side note,because I have never owned a car does that make me a real cyclist?:hyper:

simongrant

cmon grendel speak up,like you hackbike,been wearing em for years at an appropiate level of course and in my opinion being visually aware is more important than anything else.Besides on windy days it tends to drown out the mp3 player anyway,perhaps we should stop cycling when its windy.

simon

I remember so vividly because when I went on my bike tour of North East Scotland in 1986 I took about twenty casette tapes with me and a chunky tape player.I had already started using these as I said in 1985.Amazing now that I have a tiny 8gb mp3 player that has many more songs on it than those twenty tapes.

I still have some pics from that tour.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I don't see any issue with wearing them as long as your responsible.

So keeping the volume down and being able to tune out and listen to other noises when needed! The roads and places you listen to your music are also a factor, for example the noises whilst cycling in a city compared to out in the country side are very different. along with the amount of blind corners, other cyclists and the general speed of cars.

but i think the people that the poster is referring to may be the kind of cyclists that think of no one else and believe they are immortal, and thus cycle like nutters anyway. In which case taking the headphones off isn't going to make any difference.

Mr Pig

Grendel said:
Really, they are just asking for trouble. Anyone agree?

Yes. They obviously are.

There was a program on the TV last week talking about a young man who was killed at a level crossing. The crossing had no barriers, just flashing lights and bells. he was wearing a parker with the hood up, so he didn't notice the lights, and using an iPod, so he didn't hear the bells. Walked straight in front of a train.

Anything that impairs your vision or hearing is obviously going to increase risk. I would also argue that listening to music will effect your concentration too.

Virtual DBP

forget motorcycle helmets, everyone i know (including me) puts in ear plugs before the helemt goes on?

for info, the reason i do it is because riding motorcycles has actually impaired my hearing slightly (wind/engine noise) so i'm trying to prevent it getting any worse

Top Bottom