My pet hate!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
simongrant said:
POst#8 Besides on windy days it tends to drown out the mp3 player anyway

Post#26 ,i have phones at such a level than the wind often drowns it out

From the MUSIC thread post#26 I can comfortably have a conversation with peds motorists and other cyclists with my headphones in and like i said previously 10 years 40mile RT 340ish days a year without incident.

Throughout this thread I have referred to the act of wearing headphones in general, you seem to have taken it as a personal attack on yourself. I don't even KNOW you. It's not all about you, much as you may think otherwise.

simongrant

Grendel said:
For gawds sake, this is getting tedious.
I quote:
"why do you numpties think that just coz u got phones in you are completely deaf to your surroundings??????"

Simon.
I have given you my reason.
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT VOLUME YOUR BLOODY HEADPHONES ARE SET AT.
So, if I see someone cycling along wearing headphones, do I assume they can hear me, or that they can't?

I'm using capitals as you are probably wearing headphones and can't hear me.
So what your really meaning is you like the sound of your own voice and you want everyone else to hear it.
Roadies/quicker cyclists pass me often,i have the ability to ride in a straight line and im predictable on the road.You on the other hand come across as weak/defensive/timid out on the road.

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
lit said:
Your inability to engage in any kind of civil debate makes me embarrassed for you.

Happy now?

Oh, and as regards this which you quoted:

"Originally Posted by OvertheHill
Why does it P you off? Personal choice if you ask me."
"Then it's my personal choice to be Peed off. I do feel that the ability to hear warnings/other road users/sirens, etc is important. "

lit said:
Well as someone who does listen to music (I don't care if you disagree, it won't stop me doing it) whilst cycling from experience I have heard Sirens everytime before a emergency vehicle has past me, maybe it'd be better if you sort peoples experiences before ranting.

How on earth do you construe that as a rant? It was a clear statement of my feelings as regards the habit of wearing headphones while cycling.
The dictionary defines rant as:
rant (r
abreve.gif
nt)
v. rant·ed, rant·ing, rants
v.intr. To speak or write in an angry or violent manner; rave.

v.tr. To utter or express with violence or extravagance: a dictator who ranted his vitriol onto a captive audience.

n. 1. Violent or extravagant speech or writing.
2. A speech or piece of writing that incites anger or violence:

Please, do feel free to point out where I was ranting in the post you quoted, I'd love to know.

simongrant

What i object to Grendel is the fact that if you came across me out on the road and you were driving your car you would be pissed of at me because im wearing headphones minding my own business and a pissed of motorist is a danger to any other road users.

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
simongrant said:
So what your really meaning is you like the sound of your own voice and you want everyone else to hear it.
Roadies/quicker cyclists pass me often,i have the ability to ride in a straight line and im predictable on the road.You on the other hand come across as weak/defensive/timid out on the road.

Any chance of responding to post #45, or are you going to continue with petty personal attacks?

kyuss

Veteran
Grendel said:
I have given you my reason.
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT VOLUME YOUR BLOODY HEADPHONES ARE SET AT.
So, if I see someone cycling along wearing headphones, do I assume they can hear me, or that they can't?

Why should the wearing of headphones on another person, or the level they are set at, effect the way you cycle/drive? Should deaf people be banned from cycling? Maybe you'd just rather they wore some kind of sign to let you know of their lack of hearing ability so you can cycle/drive with impunity. Care should be taken regardless of the circumstances. I really don't undersand why this annoys you so much.

Grendel said:
2)Hi Trev,im not having a pop at motorcyclists just wondering if they piss grendel off.
Why should they? Unless they are ridden by kids on cyclepaths then they are legitimate road users. Some are bad, some are good. I'll take them as I find them.

You are a bit of a dick aren't you? Cyclists are legitimate road users to. You'd do well to remember that.

simongrant

simongrant said:
What i object to Grendel is the fact that if you came across me out on the road and you were driving your car you would be pissed of at me because im wearing headphones minding my own business and a pissed of motorist is a danger to any other road users.

Where's the personal attack here,your very first post you said cyclists wearing headphones pisses you off

Like i said before,concentrate on what your doing like i do on a daily basis.I will continue as i have for the last ten years,wearing my headphones at an appropriate level.Lose the anger grendel.

As for post 45 i stand by everything i post

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
simongrant said:

Perhaps you misunderstand me. While the act of riding whilst wearing headphones annoys me, my actions on observing someone doing so is to be more cautious than usual. Because I don't know if they can hear me. It's not a difficult concept to take in. You don't have to agree. I don't care if you agree.
Post #1 asked for responses from people who agree. You obviously don't, so what exactly are you trolling for?

simongrant

kyuss said:
Why should the wearing of headphones on another person, or the level they are set at, effect the way you cycle/drive? Should deaf people be banned from cycling? Maybe you'd just rather they wore some kind of sign to let you know of their lack of hearing ability so you can cycle/drive with impunity. Care should be taken regardless of the circumstances. I really don't undersand why this annoys you so much.

+1,you got right to the heart of it here,like i have said previous,gotta concentrate on what you yourself are doing on the road

Good post Kyuss:smile:

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
kyuss said:

You are a bit of a dick aren't you? Cyclists are legitimate road users to. You'd do well to remember that.

See simon, that's how to do a personal attack.
Kyuss, what I wrote was this:

"2)Hi Trev,im not having a pop at motorcyclists just wondering if they piss grendel off
Why should they? Unless they are ridden by kids on cyclepaths then they are legitimate road users. Some are bad, some are good. I'll take them as I find them."

I said that motorcyclists are legitimate road users, so long as they were not being ridden on cyclepaths. How did you read that as me attacking cyclists?

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
simongrant said:
Where's the personal attack here

Here:
Well said Lit,from grendels previous posts a lot of things seem to piss him off,maybe he is just a poor cyclist and cant handle roads as well as some of us.
and here:
You on the other hand come across as weak/defensive/timid out on the road.

simongrant

Grendel,your thread starter was attacking cyclists for wearing headphones as you put it"they piss me off",later climbed down to slightly annoys me.Maybe you should be a bit more thoughtful in your choice of words before starting such threads.I notice from another thread you started you dislike taxi drivers too,any other road users you do get along with.Maybe there are issues with yourself rather than others?????

simongrant

Grendel said:
Here:
Well said Lit,from grendels previous posts a lot of things seem to piss him off,maybe he is just a poor cyclist and cant handle roads as well as some of us.
and here:
You on the other hand come across as weak/defensive/timid out on the road.

maybe he is just a poor cyclist and cant handle roads as well as some of us. Im giving you the benefit of the doubt right here,but rapidly having 2nd thoughts:laugh:

kyuss

Veteran
Grendel said:
See simon, that's how to do a personal attack.

Thank you. :biggrin: I am rather good at it if I do say so myself. ;)

Grendel said:
Kyuss, what I wrote was this:

"2)Hi Trev,im not having a pop at motorcyclists just wondering if they piss grendel off
Why should they? Unless they are ridden by kids on cyclepaths then they are legitimate road users. Some are bad, some are good. I'll take them as I find them."

Sorry I may have misunderstood you, and the 'dick' comment was probably a bit out of order, but given the context of the thread and the wording of your post it did read like you were implying that cyclists, particularly those wearing earphones, weren't legitimate road users. My mistake. :biggrin:

The motorcyclist point is a good one though. They are hearing impaired too because of the helmet (even more so if wearing earplugs, like a lot of bikers do including my dad), so would it be impossible for you to take cyclists 'as you find them' in the same manner and show them the same level of care (headphones or not) that you extend to your motorised brothers, instead of coming on a cycling forum to complain about it?

Like I said before, I don't understand why this annoys you so much.

Top Bottom