1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My picture of the day-Where's yours?

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by bigjim, 10 Nov 2012.

1. ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles Veteran

I was suffering serious sledge-envy this morning so took the MTB out for a spin in the afternoon. We don't often get snow in sunny Devon... a shame as it was ace fun!

025.JPG 026.JPG 029.JPG
  2. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

27CFAFE9-D2FD-4C31-909B-A7A062A15DC5.jpeg The “fattie” camouflaged by the rocks :ph34r:
    Mojonaut, Siclo, Thorn Sherpa and 9 others like this.
  3. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Staff Member

Following the path cut by the snowplough at Little Lyth:
  4. 'Hartleys Bridge'
    From 1804, to the mid 1960's (not exactly sure what year), this carried the 'Great North Road' over the River Aire (better known. perhaps. as the A1)

FerryBridge. Hartleys Bridge. 9.JPG FerryBridge. Hartleys Bridge. 10.JPG FerryBridge. Hartleys Bridge. 12.JPG

Then it was bypassed by the dual-carriageway, reinforced concrete bridge............................. now, itself superceded by the mid-2000's new A1, that sweeps to the western side of FerryBridge Power Station, also avoiding the roundabout, at FerryBridge Services, where it intersected the M62
    Last edited: 4 Mar 2018
  5. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

C81AF095-125D-4E26-8388-7CCC0469B590.jpeg CD4DD62E-A21E-4E6E-84DE-19D350EF5183.jpeg My new little friend :wub:
  6. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

Devon & Die
    10C here now, and I cycled into town in shorts for a swim. The snow is almost gone, if not the memory of it.

7. MossCommuter

MossCommuter Guru

Irlam (Salford)
    You went for a swim? Doesn't look deep enough
  8. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

@briantrumpet is only a short person
    Doug. and MossCommuter like this.
  9. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

Devon & Die
    I set 'em up, you knock 'em down.
    MossCommuter likes this.
  10. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

Devon & Die
    A piccolo trumpet.
  11. This morning, whilst out, I had a look at the new swing-bridge that's in the process of installation over the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal
    It's from Water Lane, to Calder Row. the row of (ex) Canal company terraces on the other side

DSCF4406.JPG DSCF4408.JPG DSCF4269.JPG
    The predecessor was a vehicular bridge, but has been chained in the 'Canal Open' status for quite a few years
    I am given to understand there was a legal battle over the vehicular rights over part of Water Lane, as someone claimed ownership
    (besides, it wasn't in great condition prior to removal)

The Geograph link shows the previous bridge, & footbridge, which I have used many times, on my XC run to work (pre 'Eastern Relief Road' & forthcoming new housing estate, closing a couple of paths/tracks)
    It also has a location map, below the picture

From the poster, it looks like the bridge will be locked in the 'Canal Closed', as the need for a key is stated
    Presumably the key will not be removable, unless the bridge is returned to 'Canal Closed' status?

And, looking down the Canal, towards the road bridge, & the Marina
    This is the footbridge that will be closed, when it opens
    Last edited: 4 Mar 2018
  12. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Well-Known Member

My Roubaix hit its first thousand miles this morning so we had a bit of a party this evening :laugh:

Ok, the wife's on holiday and I got a little bored :tongue:
    Mrs M, Spartak, grecinos and 5 others like this.
  13. Spartak

Spartak Powered by M&M's

14. Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa Senior Member

Day with the kids yesterday no cycling so decided on a walk round Sprotborough Falls
  15. Smeggers II

Smeggers II Legendary Member

Is Trouts still going?