My poor, old Carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Micky mastic

Hi guys I hope that someone can help me,

I was given my Carlton by my dad back in 1978 at that time I had it completely rebuilt but alas the poor old girl died a few years ago with the bottom bracket seizing up it was originally built in the 1950's the spec of this bike was reynolds 531 double-butted tubing.

Unfortunately, I stripped the bike down to the bare bones to rebuild it but in between moving houses all I have left is the bare frame no bottom bracket headset Obviously this is a big problem ,I would like to get it back on the road if anyone has any idea where I can get my hands on these spare parts please let me know
It was originally fitted with a three speed gear Derailer system which we upgraded to 5 speed

I have even lost the original Brooke's leather saddle think they are worth a fortune now?

MikeW-71

Veteran
Chances are that Brooks still make the same saddle today. :smile:

Good luck with the restoration, someone with more knowledge will be along soon. Get some pics up here when it's finished too :thumbsup:

midlife

Guru
Welcome. Pics would be nice as it was the 1970's when I got my first proper bike which was a Carlton Cobra, not 531 but I slept with it in my bedroom lol

Spokesmann on here is one of our resident Carlton officionados and has his own website so should be here shortly.

Shaun

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My Clubman had a full re-build in the 80s and modern kit works so much better than steel cottered cranks, huret/simplex shifters and the like. Old stuff does come up on Flea-Bay sometimes quite cheap but it depends what you want the bike for (they ride lovely)
As for the myth about old Brooks saddles that is all it is, most models are still made to the exact specification (and still on the same machines) check out the Brooks website.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Hi guys I hope that someone can help me,

I was given my Carlton by my dad back in 1978 at that time I had it completely rebuilt but alas the poor old girl died a few years ago with the bottom bracket seizing up it was originally built in the 1950's the spec of this bike was reynolds 531 double-butted tubing.

Unfortunately, I stripped the bike down to the bare bones to rebuild it but in between moving houses all I have left is the bare frame no bottom bracket headset Obviously this is a big problem ,I would like to get it back on the road if anyone has any idea where I can get my hands on these spare parts please let me know
It was originally fitted with a three speed gear Derailer system which we upgraded to 5 speed

I have even lost the original Brooke's leather saddle think they are worth a fortune now?

Some images first would be a great start!
Look forward to seeing it!

Top Bottom