My project bike - fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
montage said:
135mm - problem encountered....the seat post is welded in by rust :tongue:

When i got my frame, the stem was stuck in. I got that out.
Theres a few things to try:
Undo the bolt and try and twist the post out using the saddle, probably wont work.
If you have one that has a clamp at the back with two bolts that bring the top of the frame together, you can undo the bolt, take that out and put a wooden wedge into that and hit it down. That might release it.
Next one, which i used to get the stem out is it cut the top of it off. Then with a hacksaw, cot down the seat post. Do one each side as far as you can go down so the seat post has two cuts either side at the top, and going down the seat post. Clamp it in a vice and you should be able to release the seat post.
Try the other methods before this though.

With the 135mm spacing, there arent as many fixed hubs of that size. Theres a company in london that do a special hub that will fit in. Unless you use an old back wheel that fits which takes a screw on block and put a fixed sprocket on that.
I found it easier to build up a fixed if its 120mm spacing. 130 isnt bad, my £3.9 and a half P bike has 130 spacing that i just squeezed in.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
benjonson said:
Yesterday’s post poking fun at fixies got a lot of attention, and we were, of course, accused of hatin’ on the bikes and riders. But we don’t — a quick look inside the Wired.com office door will tell you everything you need to know— the bike rack there is full of fixed-gear bikes, and at least one has the dreaded Brookes saddle. But then, it is San Francisco. But you guys convinced me to try one. Apparently they are “fun” and also good for you, so I have decided to build one. The catch (and there’s always a catch) is that I want to do it on the cheap. No Bianchi Pistas, or Shimano anything. I plan to trawl the dumpsters for basic parts like frame and (hopefully) wheels, and get the cheapest of anything else that I might need

Fun is what we do most!
Welcome to the forum... I am going to try and spend no more than £20 on this, if I spend more, I have failed. Beating Joe and stoat's prices will be an added bonus ;)

I just like the idea of how simply they are - seems a great first project before moving onto more complicated gears etc.
I may make a "prettier" fixed after I have completed this beast.
Best of luck!

benjonson said:
Yesterday’s post..../....and get the cheapest of anything else that I might need!

Go for it...it's just a bit of fun for Joe, Montage, and myself, but with the serious side of doing it on the cheap....I'll win, of course!;)

Joe24

benjonson said:
Yesterday’s post poking fun at fixies got a lot of attention, and we were, of course, accused of hatin’ on the bikes and riders. But we don’t — a quick look inside the Wired.com office door will tell you everything you need to know— the bike rack there is full of fixed-gear bikes, and at least one has the dreaded Brookes saddle. But then, it is San Francisco. But you guys convinced me to try one. Apparently they are “fun” and also good for you, so I have decided to build one. The catch (and there’s always a catch) is that I want to do it on the cheap. No Bianchi Pistas, or Shimano anything. I plan to trawl the dumpsters for basic parts like frame and (hopefully) wheels, and get the cheapest of anything else that I might need

Well, thats me happy:thumbsup: We got someone new to try fixed and be wanting to build one up instead.
Good luck and have fun:thumbsup: Its not that hard to do really, you just need to get your chainline right. Which isnt that hard to do.
Hopefuly the cheap challenge will encourage more people to try fixed and build one up themself:thumbsup:
Ofcourse it will go wrong if they ride them for abit, then the bike falls apart and it puts them off fixed. But it should do:wacko:

Tel

Veteran
Further to Joe's advice try spraying WD40 round the top of the seat tube, absolutely soak it, then whack it really hard with a mallet. This will drive it further in but will break the grip that the rust has on the post.

You could also drill the post all the way through and insert a large lever, a screwdriver for example to use for twisting it, or do the seat post up extremely tight in a vice and use the frame as leverage...

montage said:
seatpost not coming out at all...

No...try some Stillsons, they're a pipe wrench, which will tighten on the seatpost as you turn it....and if you can. put a longer tube over the stilson wrench, to give you leverage...

http://www.trueshopping.co.uk/product.php?pid=47271&cid=161&affid=113 but cheaper than this!

Don't bin the frame yet!!
:biggrin:

Joe24

Dont be such a wimp!!!
Put some power into it.
I need to losen my seatpost in the fixed i just built up. Im going to try that this afternoon, its should come out.
How im going to do it is to put a wedge between the seat post clamp bit, sprey a load of WD40 over it and wait for abit, sprey some more on. Then im going to lay the frame down, stand on it and twist the saddle around, it should move, i hope:wacko:

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I used joe's advice of cutting it off, then trying to cut down it.
It wasn't hollow, and didnt budge :biggrin:

Soaked in WD40 again, will try some of these methods in tomorrow.

Joe24

montage said:
I used joe's advice of cutting it off, then trying to cut down it.
It wasn't hollow, and didnt budge :biggrin:

Soaked in WD40 again, will try some of these methods in tomorrow.

What do you mean it isnt hollow?
Anyway, next thing to try as drilling a hole through the post thats thick enough to get something long and strong through.
Open up the clamp at the back, sprey some WD40 down and twist the long strong thing

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Joe24 said:
What do you mean it isnt hollow?
Anyway, next thing to try as drilling a hole through the post thats thick enough to get something long and strong through.
Open up the clamp at the back, sprey some WD40 down and twist the long strong thing

This is my plan ....might not have time to try and do tomorrow though, will let you know how it goes!

(sledgehammer plan sounds good aswell)

Joe24

montage said:
This is my plan ....might not have time to try and do tomorrow though, will let you know how it goes!

(sledgehammer plan sounds good aswell)

???
Sledge hammer wont do it. You will just bend whatever you hit.
Use a normal hammer if you must.
I need to get mine out, it looks like im going to have to cut it, but i dont have another 27mm seat post so will have to buy one, or look around for one free.
How im going to cut it is to cut the top of it off, then cut down the back side of it by the seat clamp, and down that gap thats there.
Its the bottom bit thats holding it, and no amount of power with me twisting it is going to get it out, or hitting the top of it with a hammer.
It can stay stuck for abit longer though, i cant be arsed to cut it at the moment.

Top Bottom