My project bike - fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
tallships2008004.jpg

tallships2008005.jpg

Ok....here is the embryo of my fixed...possibly..pretty light frame - wheel makes up for most of the weight... groupset will need replacing, I fancy drop handlebars (though may upgrade to these later). The frame is more or less the only useful piece here for my fixed conversion.

How much does it take to get a frame resprayed? ;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
montage said:
tallships2008004.jpg

tallships2008005.jpg

Ok....here is the embryo of my fixed...possibly..pretty light frame - wheel makes up for most of the weight... groupset will need replacing, I fancy drop handlebars (though may upgrade to these later). The frame is more or less the only useful piece here for my fixed conversion.

How much does it take to get a frame resprayed? :tongue:

I think most people on here have them powdercoated for something like £30?
I had mine repsreyed by a mate for £40 a while ago. I had to strip the old paint off myself which was fun, got to play with Nitromorse.:biggrin:
Im sure you can turn that into a decent looking fixed. Whats the spacing of the rear drop outs?
Edit: Anyway, why havent you stripped it down yet? Your taking your time!

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Ok...well I think I will get it to a "fixed state" for our little competition, and then spend lodes pimping it up after :biggrin:

Not stripped down due to lack of tools to remove cranks and BBs etc.

Do tools count in our cost? I have next to none :tongue:

montage said:
Do tools count in our cost? I have next to none :sad:

Me neither...I don't think they should count as part of the 'Fixe Build Cost', but I'll not be buying any anyway - that's the whole point about doing it for no cash.....'co I ain't got no cash!:biggrin:

Should be a good learning curve though.....by the way, I paid £0.00 for my bike, just awaiting the 'go ahead' that I can use it!

Go on, 2010 IoW on your fixed.....:tongue:

Joe24

montage said:
Ok...well I think I will get it to a "fixed state" for our little competition, and then spend lodes pimping it up after :biggrin:

Not stripped down due to lack of tools to remove cranks and BBs etc.

Do tools count in our cost? I have next to none :tongue:

Wont work, the cost later will be taken in. I have no upgrades to do to mine. I might start saving up for some fixed wheels though for it.

As for tools, they dont count for the cost. But if your in a club ask someone if you can borrow a tool. I had to remove some cranks and i asked a mate if i could borrow his crank puller which he was fine with, i picked it up the next day!
Everything else should be pretty simple and just need adjustable spanners/normal spanners and hex keys.

Joe24

stoatsngroats said:
Me neither...I don't think they should count as part of the 'Fixe Build Cost', but I'll not be buying any anyway - that's the whole point about doing it for no cash.....'co I ain't got no cash!:sad:

Should be a good learning curve though.....by the way, I paid £0.00 for my bike, just awaiting the 'go ahead' that I can use it!

Go on, 2010 IoW on your fixed.....:biggrin:

I got my frame and forks free when i first built it up;)
What 'go ahead' do you need? Just do it!!!:biggrin:;):tongue:

Joe24

stoatsngroats said:
Yeh, but I got a wife, and then things, and I gotta get the go ahead.....life is not quite that simple.....:biggrin:

But it's on the cards....I'll be riding it before I'm 50!:sad:

My mum said no to more bikes. Then i built my £3.09 and a half P fixed;)
It was simple, i just told her i got given some fixed parts from a mate, then slowly built it up, then the bike just 'appeared':laugh::tongue:

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
2010 IoW on my fixed.....I will if you will!
I got my frame along with looooodes of stuff from the skip - a few crappy MTB wheels (one or two nice ones actually!) and my mum decided to buy some crap....£10 for the lot. Flogged the good wheel to my brother for £4 as he buckled his...so that is £6 for everything......the frame being about £2 worth of all the junk :biggrin:...

So I am on £2?

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Joe24 said:
My mum said no to more bikes. Then i built my £3.09 and a half P fixed;)
It was simple, i just told her i got given some fixed parts from a mate, then slowly built it up, then the bike just 'appeared':laugh::biggrin:

Haha.... I am going to try get my MTB back from the police (currently being stored as evidence against some bike theives)...this fixed and possibly another bike. So there is a strong possibility of 3 more bike "popping up" within the next couple of months. Luckily my dad was Northwest schoolboy cycling champion (boasts stories of how he and his friend beat the british commonwealth team and various exploits like that....though he gave up cycling at 18 and went to sea after pushing himself to the limit to try and go pro but just missing out)....so cycling is accepted in this household.

Oh.....I do have one way to win this hands down.
Could buy a kids fixed wheel down at the skip for a couple of shillings :tongue: (frame size 2 inches?)

Joe24

montage said:
I got my frame along with looooodes of stuff from the skip - a few crappy MTB wheels (one or two nice ones actually!) and my mum decided to buy some crap....£10 for the lot. Flogged the good wheel to my brother for £4 as he buckled his...so that is £6 for everything......the frame being about £2 worth of all the junk :biggrin:...

So I am on £2?

No, £6. You got the frame for £10 and got given a load of junk free with it. So really, its £10, but because you sold some its £6

montage said:
Ok, that's defo.....

montage said:

So I am on £2?

Joe24 said:
Ouch - that's a bit harsh!

Say £1.50, after all it is 2nd hand...:tongue:

Joe24

stoatsngroats said:
Ok, that's defo.....

Ouch - that's a bit harsh!

Say £1.50, after all it is 2nd hand...:biggrin:

No its not, thats how much he paid for it and he got bits thrown in.
But, as im feeling generous, we shall say £1.99;)

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Woah... this bike was a bit thrown in!! My mum brought a cabinet thingy, I also managed to get a far nicer frame + wheels (which I have given to a friend).

The skip is GREAT for parts.

Top Bottom