My proposal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Don't worry, I am not talking about getting married!

I am simply wondering how you go about making a proposal to your local council for them to make some more cycle lanes, ASZ's, etc...

Hip Priest

Veteran
I seem to be able to do it using the power of my mind. There's a junction on my commute where I thought 'they could do with ASLs here'. Within days there were ASLs.

I emailed my local authority to propose a cycle lane on a notorious stretch of my commute. I did get a reply, 6 months later! They said they were looking into it, (no I wasn't reporting a hole :tongue:).

Now several months later and there is no sign what so ever of anything happening
dash2.gif

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You have to get hold of the right person and then you have to keep asking them for updates so they understand you actually expect some action.

Earlier this year I reported a problem on my commute where a bad road surface and overgrown hedgrow was causing a serious danger to cyclists on a popular commuter route to a nearby industrial estate. My initial report and follow up calls to the highways dept eventually resulted in a 'no action to be carried out'. I then googled the boroughs councillors and found one for the area that had also been on a committee for road safety best value and best practice a few years earlier so I knew he was my best shot of getting something done. Sure enough, with a little pestering the problem was remedied a few months later (still not quick but occasional update requests kept things moving and I followed up with a note of thanks once the problem was dealt with).

I reckon your best bet is to get a councillor on board. The beurocrats and civil servants just want an easy life so take little notice of the public but the councillors actually care about your votes!!!

danger mouse

Have a look on your LA website.

Take the time to search out the required department, or many LA have a generic email request system.

After a little time its best to chase up as although it may be a surprise to some they wont be sitting around, but are probably doing the work of three or four people following an exercise in rationalising staff numbers.

If you ring make sure you get the persons name you speak to and try to get direct dial numbers.

Unlike the views of some on here, people in LA' are just trying to do a decent job in the face of ever restricted finances and a pretty negative view from many members of the public.

I'm afraid its a fact that county council members do get immediate staff attention to a request, so if you want to jump the queue then just get onto your County Councillor.

Then, while staff have to pay attention to people who wont wait for due process, you get to detract from the service being provided to members of the public or/and..

you could interpret a rejection of a request as 'I'm right and you're wrong,' usually followed up with a 'I pay your wages remark.'
icon_rolleyes.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do you contact the same people at the council to ask to get rid of all cycle lanes and asl's as we are all road users.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I just have knowledge of some main cross roads which have ASZ's on one side but not on the other? (Have no idea why).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kimne...IAQkqgMW89BmNZR29doEqg&cbp=12,173.77,,0,15.07 This bit does have them.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kimne...=_NbcuqPNvZ4bomipPDmilA&cbp=12,49.26,,0,14.37 This bit doesnt.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ummmm.... in case you hadn't noticed, local councils are absolutely strapped for cash at the moment so you haven't got a snowflake's chance in hell of getting a penny of funding for something so low in priority.

Go and do something more constructive with your time like cleaning the bike.

Top Bottom