My Prostate Cancer Journey and Why You Should Get Tested

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I was 50 when I asked. I think they just can't be bothered. It is an unusually terrible practice, more used to catering for the local junkies and obese mums. I used to have a good GP when I lived in a nearby village but they got me off the books as soon as I moved to the wretched hive of scum and villainy (Swindon).

lazybloke

Considering a new username
From my understanding, 3 out of 4 men with a higher reading won't have cancer, a higher number is just an indication that further investigation may be required, but there are a number of reasons for a higher reading.

You are either very young, or your GP feels you are at zero risk, for some other reason.
Yep, the higher PSA can simply be due to benign enlargement of the prostate , or an infection or injury.

Difficulty with peeing could also be for benign reasons.

But risks increase with age, family history is important, and no-one should live in fear. GPs should have a sympathetic ear and explain their reasoning if they think no investigation is necessary.

I've had psa tests since my 30s and am due another. I will be asking when an mri scan becomes appropriate, as that's never been suggested previously.

Slick

Guru
Yep, the higher PSA can simply be due to benign enlargement of the prostate , or an infection or injury.

Difficulty with peeing could also be for benign reasons.

But risks increase with age, family history is important, and no-one should live in fear. GPs should have a sympathetic ear and explain their reasoning if they think no investigation is necessary.

I've had psa tests since my 30s and am due another. I will be asking when an mri scan becomes appropriate, as that's never been suggested previously.

I might ask myself, as up until now I firmly belong to the head in the sand brigade and on my last appointment I was told that sometimes you just have to accept that they don't have a name for the particular set of symptoms you have. :eek:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just had my latest PSA result in the post today.

Following nasty UTI that morphed into sepsis during January last year my PSA shot up to just under 10 - apparently UTI's do this.

Had three DRE's from three different Consultants, including one whilst under GA (during unblocking Ureter surgery) when the surgeon gave it a "more vigorous" examination and all were pronounced benign although my prostate is swollen (esp' median lobe) and I now take Tamsulosin which has sorted my weak flow issue that I had prior to the UTI.

Within 2 weeks my PSA level was down to just over 5 and the Urologist was happy with the size of the drop and the "direction of travel" as he termed it.

Further PSA testing has me well in the normal range for my age and especially so for the size of my prostate.

Had latest result in the post today and my result is normal and "most reassuring" to quote the Urologist.

I am thinking of asking for an annual PSA test from my GP - not sure how this will be received though.

Anyone tried this and how did you get on?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Just had my latest PSA result in the post today.

Following nasty UTI that morphed into sepsis during January last year my PSA shot up to just under 10 - apparently UTI's do this.

Had three DRE's from three different Consultants, including one whilst under GA (during unblocking Urethrer surgery) when the surgeon gave it a "more vigorous" examination and all were pronounced benign although my prostate is swollen (esp' median lobe) and I now take Tamsulosin which has sorted my weak flow issue that I had prior to the UTI.

Within 2 weeks my PSA level was down to just over 5 and the Urologist was happy with the size of the drop and the "direction of travel" as he termed it.

Further PSA testing has me well in the normal range for my age and especially so for the size of my prostate.

Had latest result in the post today and my result is normal and "most reassuring" to quote the Urologist.

I am thinking of asking for an annual PSA test from my GP - not sure how this will be received though.

Anyone tried this and how did you get on?

My GP practice actively encourages anyone with an enlarged prostate to have a six monthly PSA test.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Here's my experience for anyone nervous about having their prostate checked.

Five years ago, following the usual symptoms (slow flow, small bladder capacity) I had the examination which revealed an enlarged prostate.

PSA and biopsy followed and showed my prostate enlargement was benign. I tried Tamsulosin and Finasteride and didn't like them. For four years I have skipped from WC to WC, and drunk less than I should.

Two nights ago my flow stopped and I was in great discomfort. Fabulous service from 111, GP practice and A and E yesterday had me catheterised and back on Tamsulosin within 4 hours of making the first call!

Today I have enjoyed drinking lots of tea and water, and have had my first unbroken night's sleep in years.

The digital (finger) testing is a little uncomfortable, but nothing imo to worry about and over in seconds. Having my ureter blocked for hours was exactly 1276% worse, I never want to experience that again!

Normal comfortable bladder capacity is 300- 600ml. Mine was down to 150ml. When catheterised 1500ml came out!

I would strongly encourage you to get tested if you have any of the symptoms, not just for the cancer risk but also to preserve a good quality of life.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My GP practice actively encourages anyone with an enlarged prostate to have a six monthly PSA test.

Here's my experience for anyone nervous about having their prostate checked.

Five years ago, following the usual symptoms (slow flow, small bladder capacity) I had the examination which revealed an enlarged prostate.

PSA and biopsy followed and showed my prostate enlargement was benign. I tried Tamsulosin and Finasteride and didn't like them. For four years I have skipped from WC to WC, and drunk less than I should.

Two nights ago my flow stopped and I was in great discomfort. Fabulous service from 111, GP practice and A and E yesterday had me catheterised and back on Tamsulosin within 4 hours of making the first call!

Today I have enjoyed drinking lots of tea and water, and have had my first unbroken night's sleep in years.

The digital (finger) testing is a little uncomfortable, but nothing imo to worry about and over in seconds. Having my ureter blocked for hours was exactly 1276% worse, I never want to experience that again!

Normal comfortable bladder capacity is 300- 600ml. Mine was down to 150ml. When catheterised 1500ml came out!

I would strongly encourage you to get tested if you have any of the symptoms, not just for the cancer risk but also to preserve a good quality of life.

Thanks for the info' re your GP.

Also, was it one of your ureters blocked or your urethra?

Re Tamsulosin: no side effects since I started taking them 18 months ago. They seem to work well although I do notice that their effect lessens even if I only go a couple of hours over my usual time of taking it.

Possibly strangely, prior to my UTI, caused by blockage (kidney stone) in left ureter and subsequent infection, I had no idea that I had an enlarged prostate.

As I headed towards 65 I had noticed my urination flowrate slowing down but had no overnight calls of nature ever although I was forever peeing during the daytime, I just put this down to advancing years - in retrospect I should've gone and had a checkup before my inrelated UTI occured!

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in Jan 21 but it was a very low level (Gleason 6) which many men of my age (76) have.

I was told I am more likely to die with PC than of PC and opted for what is called active surveillance ...regular PSA tests, DREs and scans...rather than surgical intervention.

So far everything is OK, slight changes in PSA, both up and down, minor issues with peeing too much, but I must admit to some occasional worrying about the option I took and whether I should now go for prostate removal...my consultant told me I could opt for this at any time.

Not after advice because every case is different, but am beginning to think that removal would stop the possibility of the cancer worsening or spreading at some time in the future and ease my nagging worries.

Slick

Guru
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in Jan 21 but it was a very low level (Gleason 6) which many men of my age (76) have.

I was told I am more likely to die with PC than of PC and opted for what is called active surveillance ...regular PSA tests, DREs and scans...rather than surgical intervention.

So far everything is OK, slight changes in PSA, both up and down, minor issues with peeing too much, but I must admit to some occasional worrying about the option I took and whether I should now go for prostate removal...my consultant told me I could opt for this at any time.

Not after advice because every case is different, but am beginning to think that removal would stop the possibility of the cancer worsening or spreading at some time in the future and ease my nagging worries.

Obviously your not going to get the answer here, but my dad did exactly what you are doing, even after they told him it had changed, and was unlikely to end well whatever he decided to do.

Obviously no relation to your circumstances, but I would go for removal every time.

Probably means I just don't understand the risks though.

midlife

Guru
Not to cross threads on the other prostate one but managed a review with my urologist today after 5 months of cancelled and changed appointments.

The appointment today had been cancelled but I wasn't informed, receptionist and me looked at each other, since I was dressed in scrubs wearing a badge saying consultant she was wondering how easy it would be to send me away..... So went off to ask a nurse what to do.

Was seen by a new consultant urologist who offered a "shave and clips" under local or a TURP under GA.

Now listed for TURP as day stay, was looking forward to a night on the ward with fentanyl and morphine but no!

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member

Every case is different.

Mine was at the very edge of the capsule and Surgeon's advice was that any development would mean it escaped the capsule; active surveillance was not an option.

Don't know if this is how it works everywhere, but all cases at my Urology service are considered at a Multi Disciplinary Team meeting. In my case they thought hard about my long list of co-morbidities and in the end my general (cycling) fitness tipped the balance and they offered surgery.

bruce1530

Guru
Is it normal to have an MRI before biopsy?

I think it is now, it may depend on the biopsy technique.

My local hospital does a thing called “Artemis biopsy”, which is apparently less invasive. A probe up your bum, and the needle goes through bowel wall to prostate.
You’ve previously had a MRI, which gives a 3D map of your insides. If that shows anything worrying, you get the biopsy. The biopsy probe has an ultrasound on the end, which allows the operator to accurately overlay the 2 images and “”aim” accurately.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I think it is now, it may depend on the biopsy technique.

My local hospital does a thing called “Artemis biopsy”, which is apparently less invasive. A probe up your bum, and the needle goes through bowel wall to prostate.
You’ve previously had a MRI, which gives a 3D map of your insides. If that shows anything worrying, you get the biopsy. The biopsy probe has an ultrasound on the end, which allows the operator to accurately overlay the 2 images and “”aim” accurately.
I thought the probe up the bum was the usual manner, so perhaps the new bit is the overlay of the mri and ultrasound.

I'd heard of an another route via the perineum, which was suggested (by a layman) to be a smaller infection risk and more comfortable.

midlife

Guru
I thought they had stopped biopsy through the rectal wall and moved over to Trans Perineal for the reason above?

That's what mine was, I lost count at 17 biopsies. Ultrasound probe was a bit smarting though.....

After my father died from prostate cancer in 1999 i decided i would have regular check ups but for some reason my first Psa blood test wasn't until 2008 and the reading was normal.My wife who worked at the local hospital as a ward manager used to be able to get me blood tests and the readings were slightly creeping up.
Out of concern i went to see my Gp who did the finger test and said your prostate is slightly enlarged and he made an appointment for the hospital.They did a biopsy but the letter came back as not to be concerned.
Six months later and with my Psa still going up the hospital decided to give me a more thorough biopsey and that came back as finding something suspicious.I was then given a Mri scan and that is when it came back as early stage prostate cancer.
Right from the start i said to the consultant i didn't want brachytherapy or watch and wait i just want the thing removed.
So September 2012 i had a robotic radical prostatectomy at Addenbrookes hospital,Cambridge.Afterwards the professor who had done the operation explained to me the tumour was still enclosed in the capsule and everything went well.
On the first appointment after my op my first words were "when can i get back on my bike".
After five years i was discharged from having to go back up to Addenbrookes as Psa results were really low.
I wish @PK99 all the best and please men go and have your prostate checked.

*One thing i forgot to say was that the operation has left me with a flat tyre and incontinence but that's worth paying the price in my eye for what could have been a different outcome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom