My Raleigh Bike. The Start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
How far does it turn left or right ?
it should just keep turning up the threads then pop off

I will turn it anticlock wise for a while and see what happens?

These are usually 3 separate components. So the knurled and bevelled top piece spins freely if you screw it "righty tighty" down? My rubbish amended MS paint image sort of shows what should be 3 different parts.
headrace.jpg

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
The more i look at that it looks like one i had on a 90's Giant Peleton a while back that had a push over trim part that popped up to reveal the top nut underneath

Well you were right..lol

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
@Boon 51 that was the hardest work i have had doing a headset strip and clean , and the bike was 100 + miles away , but you got there so well done , all looks good just add some good quality grease and then rebuild it .

Hope you are enjoying the rebuild , whats the next job ?

I have some multi purpose grease already for tomorrow.
I'm going to put the grease on with my finger so how much grease should I put on, a light, medium or heavy smear, I couldn't tell when I stripped it down as it was bone dry and you put grease on first then bearings then a little more grease on top. I have some bits on order like brake levers and cables which should arrive by the weekend so it will be finished within a week.

As for my next job that's putting the kettle on lol. but I will get another bike that's for sure.

PS Thanks once again for all you help. :cheers:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I always put a good amount in the cups then seat the bearings in place and then a smear on top , with all parts getting a smear for good luck

So when are you doing the bottom bracket or have i missed that ?

Its addictive playing with these older bikes but you soon learn ways and tricks , the most rewarding bit i find is completing the first 200 miles on a bike that i have overhauled without having done any other work other than fine tuning it to fit .

You are welcome for any help ican offer

Top Bottom