My Raleigh Bike. The Start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
FFS.. Just as a thought as I walked to the garage I will put a screwdriver in between blue bit and the red and see what occurs would you believe it popped off so its just a rubber cap. Now you can see the locknut. :eek:

Bikes are a bugger like that, when I was doing mine up I kept missing things that now seem obvious.

midlife

Guru
Just set them in the grease, any extra will squeeze out or go into the head tube. BITD with loose balls you had to have enough grease to hold them in the race....

1406625516494-1fbw5rn7zdo49-630-354.jpg

Fill the cup completely with balls and then take one out. Caged bearings are much easier lol. Just check they are the right way round :smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just set them in the grease, any extra will squeeze out or go into the head tube. BITD with loose balls you had to have enough grease to hold them in the race....

View attachment 447462

Fill the cup completely with balls and then take one out. Caged bearings are much easier lol. Just check they are the right way round :smile:

Ah, yes I put too many in mine and couldn’t work out why the head tube locking nut popped off and steering felt notchy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I always put a good amount in the cups then seat the bearings in place and then a smear on top , with all parts getting a smear for good luck

So when are you doing the bottom bracket or have i missed that ?

Its addictive playing with these older bikes but you soon learn ways and tricks , the most rewarding bit i find is completing the first 200 miles on a bike that i have overhauled without having done any other work other than fine tuning it to fit .

You are welcome for any help ican offer

@biggs682 the grease will be done tomorrow, as for the bottom bracket I don't know as I have never rode the bike yet but I will soon find out.
I have really enjoyed this new venture and as you say get a few miles done and I will be a happy chappie.
I have had a mate round as he wanted to see the bike and has offered to buy it at well over the price I payed even with the extra bits.
So thinking aloud I might buy another bike just to do up and sell and when that is sold buy another ?
Happy Days .
boon

@biggs682 the grease will be done tomorrow, as for the bottom bracket I don't know as I have never rode the bike yet but I will soon find out.
I have really enjoyed this new venture and as you say get a few miles done and I will be a happy chappie.
I have had a mate round as he wanted to see the bike and has offered to buy it at well over the price I payed even with the extra bits.
So thinking aloud I might buy another bike just to do up and sell and when that is sold buy another ?
Happy Days .
boon
and so it begins...
Good job you took a pic of your workshop cos that's the last time you'll see it not full of bikes!
I've got to empty my garage to have a new roof put on; there are frames at the back that I haven't seen in two years :rolleyes:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have some multi purpose grease already for tomorrow.
I'm going to put the grease on with my finger so how much grease should I put on, a light, medium or heavy smear, I couldn't tell when I stripped it down as it was bone dry and you put grease on first then bearings then a little more grease on top. I have some bits on order like brake levers and cables which should arrive by the weekend so it will be finished within a week.

As for my next job that's putting the kettle on lol. but I will get another bike that's for sure.

PS Thanks once again for all you help. :cheers:
I don't think it's possible to put too much grease in a headset. :laugh:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
and so it begins...
Good job you took a pic of your workshop cos that's the last time you'll see it not full of bikes!
I've got to empty my garage to have a new roof put on; there are frames at the back that I haven't seen in two years :rolleyes:

My wife as her retired hobby makes handbags and such things and she said I ought to get a hobby apart from cycling so I think I have found one now.
Plus of course more bikes means cleaning which I love doing anyway.
So all is good.
Thanks for all the help mate..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
On randynewmanscat post with the coloured bits of the headrace.

The yellow bottom piece on mine was very hard to get off .. how tight should it be, I thought it was too tight?
(Don't know the name of that part)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
On randynewmanscat post with the coloured bits of the headrace.

The yellow bottom piece on mine was very hard to get off .. how tight should it be, I thought it was too tight?
(Don't know the name of that part)

I think it’s the headset cup, should be quite stiff I believe, in my old bike I needed to knock it off with a piece of wood and a mallet.

Top Bottom