My Raleigh Bike. The Start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Needs a bigger box.

That's just what I thought it's big enough for a nice size pizza. ^_^

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm just waiting for my new hood/levers to arrive so they can be fitted.

On the bike when I got it the front brake had a nice loop from lever to brake but the rear brake cable ran under the bar tape which I thought was a bit odd.
So could I re route the rear brake cable another way?

I'm just waiting for my new hood/levers to arrive so they can be fitted.

On the bike when I got it the front brake had a nice loop from lever to brake but the rear brake cable ran under the bar tape which I thought was a bit odd.
So could I re route the rear brake cable another way?
if you got the same or similar levers to what was on there they're aero levers which go under the bar tape

carpenter

Über Member
Hard to tell from the photograph (although I am sure that they are Action or Motion levers) - the right hand/rear lever looks like the cable exits from the side rather than from underneath, has the previous owner cut a hole/made a slit in the rubber hood to allow this? Perhaps they didn't know how the fit an aero cable when renewing?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Hard to tell from the photograph (although I am sure that they are Action or Motion levers) - the right hand/rear lever looks like the cable exits from the side rather than from underneath, has the previous owner cut a hole/made a slit in the rubber hood to allow this? Perhaps they didn't know how the fit an aero cable when renewing?

Now you said that I think there was a cut in the hood but didn't give it much thought at the time. These new lever i bought because it was a cheap way of getting the hoods. I think in time I might get some newer type levers anyway as they are just brake levers.
I am one of those people that get a bit ratty if something is not just right on my bike?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I am one of those people that get a bit ratty if something is not just right on my bike?

You need to chill a bit when dealing with older bikes in my honest opinion just settle for things working

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Raleigh forks were 26tpi until sometime in the 1980s. Generally the better bikes moved over to 24tpi ISO sizing first. Check before buying a new headset. If you have a 26tpi fork the best course of action is to find a suitable replacement 24tpi or even a 1" threadless fork (basically anything but Raleigh). Raleigh 26tpi headsets are no longer made. I got one NOS from the USA and it was not cheap. You can get away with just the top half, which wears very slowly, and use something else at the bottom; Raleigh headset standards are basically the same as JIS but with the finer thread, and JIS headsets are easy to find (Tange Passage).

Top Bottom