My Raleigh Bike. The Start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Here's the hood I think I could put loops in.

handle bars.jpg

I will of course have bar tape on first ?

midlife

Guru

midlife

Guru
Strictly you don't need to dismantle the gear levers (downtube shifters) as the cable simply threads through, nothing wrong with taking them apart for cleaning though. There will be a screw to undo or a ring to unscrew by hand, they only go back together one way so camera at the ready lol.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Plus I might put new gear cables in how do I undo the gear levers?
With downtube levers there is no need to disassemble anything on the lever, the cable nipple just pushes out and the new one threads in.
One thing to watch for is some cables have too big a nipple to fit in the hole, others are OK so take the old uns into a shop and check they're the same size.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Strictly you don't need to dismantle the gear levers (downtube shifters) as the cable simply threads through, nothing wrong with taking them apart for cleaning though. There will be a screw to undo or a ring to unscrew by hand, they only go back together one way so camera at the ready lol.

Downtube shifters that's the name of them I didn't know that? It all looks very clean so I will only just change the cable? It has a ring and a screwdriver slot?
I will push the cable back hand see how it unfits.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
With downtube levers there is no need to disassemble anything on the lever, the cable nipple just pushes out and the new one threads in.
One thing to watch for is some cables have too big a nipple to fit in the hole, others are OK so take the old uns into a shop and check they're the same size.

OK I will have a go later on..
:okay:

Here's the hood I think I could put loops in.

View attachment 447826

I will of course have bar tape on first ?

I've been mulling this over. I think converting your aero brakes to non-aero is going to look a bit strange if I'm honest. I'm also wondering if there might be a performance dip with cables not routing where they should be.
I think your options are to either buy a pair of non-aero levers or wait for nice loops of cable on your next project

midlife

Guru
I've been mulling this over. I think converting your aero brakes to non-aero is going to look a bit strange if I'm honest. I'm also wondering if there might be a performance dip with cables not routing where they should be.
I think your options are to either buy a pair of non-aero levers or wait for nice loops of cable on your next project

Oops, have I posted the wrong vid? It was to show that you do the cable work *before* taping the bars to answer Boon 51's question. I thought it showed converting non aero to aero.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran

So how much would a pair of non- aero levers cost ?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Me and my bike were chatting the other day about him having new tyres as the 20mm Gatorskins he had were shot and I didn't like the brake calipers: plus he needed new brake blocks which would cost me £8.00 so we worked out a plan.
I only have either Conti 4000's or Michelin Endurance Pro's spare (at £60 pair which I thought was too much to spend on him as he only cost me £62.)
So what we agreed on is this, I would give him the Endurance Pro's and in return I'll buy some Shimano 105 calipers at £22 (out of his pocket money) so I would save the £8.00 on buying brake blocks making the calipers £14.00.
This now makes sense so he's spent £22.00 on brake calipers, £8.00 on inner/outer brake cables and £10.00 new hood/levers. Total £40.00 for bits and £62.00 buying him in the first place so we are both happy.
I'm not going to charge him the price of a saddle, pedals or bar tape as I have all of them so it won't cost me - he's a lucky bike to have found me!

Top Bottom