My rant about 'calorie deficit' b.s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Guys, not meaning to get at anybody, but one thing which winds me up is when people advise that all you need to do to lose weight, is to create a calorie deficit, i.e. burn more calories than you take it. I'm sorry but this is just wrong, and dangerous advice.

Try it yourself, create a calorie deficit eating fast food, see how long you live for, let alone how much weight you lose!

It may well be that we put on weight due in part to ingesting too many calories, but a more significant problem is the poor quality of these calories, and the fact that they are 'empty calories' of little of no nutritional value, and often very difficult for the body to process due to being highly processed, artificial foods. If you doubt this, look at what is happening as the 'Western diet' is introduced in China and India.

Another issue is that the highly processed foods which are the problem, lead us to over consume, since they are designed to make us eat more, for example by including MSG (which by the way can be hidden behind many names which you wont recognise).

Diet drinks are also a big problem, although they contain fewer calories, they make us consume more calories overall. They are proven to contribute to weight gain over time.

Bottom line is this. Weight loss is not rocket science, and you don't need to track calories, you don't need to do loads of research, you already know what to do. Foods which grow naturally are good to eat, stuff which is created in factories is not. Don't fall for the marketing hype, don't overcomplicate things, eat the stuff which our bodies have evolved to process over the millennia, not the stuff which has been invented over the past 50 years, as the obesity crisis has taken hold.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
OK :smile:

david k

Hi
i think to initially lose weight and if your really overweight and need a start its a focus for early weight loss.

Long term you are perfectly correct, you need to live and eat healthy as opposed to just calorie count

Ian_w

Work out your maintenance calorie intake, eat 500 per day less than maintenance from clean foods. Stay away from fizzy drinks and enjoy one cheat meal a week to keep yourself sane. You will lose weight, has worked and does work for thousands of bodybuilders.

vickster

Legendary Member
You will lose weight, has worked and does work for thousands of bodybuilders.
But sooo boring :biggrin: And who wants to look like a bodybuilder :whistle:

Ian_w

Maybe not the Mr olympia guys but the natural lads have very good physiques *creeps off back to the gym :-)

vickster

Legendary Member
Lots of gyms lads tend to look like apes though...5'5, with stumpy weedy legs and nasty overmuscled arms...and normally as pale as a pint of milk...

vickster

Legendary Member
And sunshine it seems
...does seem to a be a disproportionate number of gingers though...trying to compensate? :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom