My rant about 'calorie deficit' b.s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Well yes obviously, so why the rant ?!
Well that's the whole point of the rant. The calorie deficit theory says you should eat too little, not the right amount.

@ Sittingduck, it's not really interpretation is it. Too little, would be the amount which puts you in calorie deficit, and 'the right amount' would balance your intake against your calories burned.

So how is this misguided?

I'm happy to finish the thread, or happy to respond, especially if it seems like we might be making progress!

vickster

Legendary Member
But to lose weight you need to expend more calories than you take in - be that eating less, exercising more, having a limb amputated?

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
It is down to your interpretation of 'too little' and 'the right amount'. These fluctuate, dpending on your level of activity and goals, as we all know.

OP: The rear guard action you seen fit to fight on this thread has been commendable, I must say. Stubborn and misguided but commendable.

Anyway - I though the thread was finished a couple of days ago... what happened??!!

And thank you, I've never been one to back down if I know I'm in the right, overwhelming odds don't bother me, or insults, in fact they just make me more determined!:laugh:

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
But to lose weight you need to expend more calories than you take in - be that eating less, exercising more, having a limb amputated?

Ah, that is the very point we are 'debating'. Whilst a surfeit of calories leads to weight gain, weight loss can be achieved by consuming the right amount of calories, you don't need to 'burn more than you take in'. The body doesn't really let you do this anyway. When you eat less than you burn, the body reduces the metabolic rate, so you don't end up with a calorie deficit anyway, and you are under-nourishing your body. This can lead to muscle wastage, and to people who are very skinny, but still with a fat belly, because the body will still be inclined to store fat whilst you are not supplying it's needs.

My assertion, is that to lose weight, you simply need to eat the right amount of food, in a healthy way. The right amount being what your body needs according to your metabolism and activity levels, and that food group, food quality, combinations, and timing of food are all key factors in achieving the right balance, and hence the advice of 'create a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day' is misleading at best.

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Also there's a big difference between losing weight, and losing fat. I am assuming that most people would rather do the latter, if they only want to lose weight, then as you say, simplest solution is to chop off a limb. If you only want to lose weight, then a calorie deficit may be the easiest route, so long as you don't mind losing lean muscle, instead of fat, and the strong possibility that when you cease the calorie deficit diet, you will put on more weight than you lost, because you've slowed your metabolism, lost muscle (which again reduces your energy needs), and starved your body, creating a perfect storm for weight gain after the diet period.

My way may take longer, but it works for life, and encourages lean muscle gain, and fat loss, whilst keeping the body well nourished, and you're never hungry.

vickster

Legendary Member
I presume that if you lose weight and exercise, you will inevitably maintian muscle and lose fat. You will lose 'size' but not necessarily weight if you consume and burn the same amount of calories as I understand it. It depends whether you wish to look as trim but be the same weight. This is my issue, I look slimmer, lose some size, but weigh the same, it's a bugger

What is 'your way', I don't remember you specifying?! Are you a qualified dietician?

PK99

Legendary Member
Not confused just bored. Certain people here seem determined to argue for the sake if it, ignore it when I put direct questions, and deliberately misinterpret what I say.

I've made my point, some people have agreed, others don't. That's all.
you have ignored my direct questions.

eat the correct amount for the weight you want to be and if you are overweight you will lose weight, but that amount is a calorie deficit at your current weight.

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I presume that if you lose weight and exercise, you will inevitably maintian muscle and lose fat. You will lose 'size' but not necessarily weight if you consume and burn the same amount of calories as I understand it. It depends whether you wish to look as trim but be the same weight. This is my issue, I look slimmer, lose some size, but weigh the same, it's a bugger

What is 'your way', I don't remember you specifying?! Are you a qualified dietician?

My way, is to consume the right amount of calories I need, and ensure that I eat a healthy balanced diet, instead of 'dieting' i.e. restricting my overall calorific intake, or any particular food group, for the short term.

No, I'm not a dietician, I learned 'my way' from dieticians such as Dr Briffa, and numerous athletics coaches and personal trainers, none of which told me I needed to create a calorie deficit, all of which told me I need to eat clean, and meet my body's needs, not exceed, and not under nourish.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
We're going round in circles now and there is very little to be gained by leaving the thread open.

So it is No longer open for further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom