My rant about 'calorie deficit' b.s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Not sure where you're seeing vitriol?

We are all just having a good laugh. You have really not challenged anyone and it seems quite unlikely that you have anything challenging to bring to the party.

You do seem quite desperate to get you athletic accomplishment willy on the table though, so come on, entertain us :hello:

You can ignore the questions vamp, they don't go away. Not desperate at all my friend, so I'll pass thanks! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Not sure what you think this proves uclown. One persons experience does not prove a point. Also I've said many times in this thead, of course if you go from eating too much, to eating less, you'll lose weight. You'll also lose weight short term, by restricting pretty much any food group, be it protein, carbs, or fat.

As he himself said, he wouldn't stay on that diet, and the doctors were not sure about the long term consequences, but if it appeals to you, please go for it, let us know how it's worked after a few years (assuming you're not dead).

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It's not wrong at all. It is however massively unhelpful - it's a bit like saying "all you need to do to win the 100m world record is run faster than everyone else"
Sometimes, the "all you need to do X is to do more of X" advice actually helps, though :laugh:. For example, all you need to be better at cycling up hills is to cycle up hills more often!

I agree with the OP, though: eat good foods in moderation, and get enough exercise.

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Great shot! But you've just kicked the ball into your own goal

Sorry mate, Vamp beat you to it, and I already replied, but if you'd like one of my sources, here's one! http://www.drbriffa.com

But there are plenty online, as I know there are also plenty supporting the calorie deficit theory. And really, I've got to say again, if you don't like what I'm saying, just ignore it.

I would love it if somebody would respond to a couple of questions though like:

The point about skinny alcoholics, they ingest loads of calories without gaining weight.

Also, if you truly believe that there is a linear relationship between calories and weight gain/ loss, then why pick a 500 calorie deficit? Why not choose a 1,500/ day deficit and lose weight three times as fast? Also do you really believe that if you had a 50 calorie deficit you'd lose 1/10th lb per week?

You can knock me all you like, but I think you can't really disagree with the point I'm making, that it's not as simple as 'a calorie is a calorie'. I'm pretty certain every person on this forum who's trying to lose weight, makes some sort of effort to ensure they ingest healthy calories. I'm just suggesting that in my opinion, and from what I've read and learned, it is perhaps more important to focus on quality of calories, than just focussing on quantity. Within reason of course, I'm not suggesting that you should overeat. However what I found, was that in focussing on high quality calories, I was eating a lot of food, and it was almost impossible to overeat.

VamP

Banned
Hmm. I eat a lot of high quality calories and my N=1 experience is that it most certainly is possible to overeat. In fact it's just as easy to get fat on highly nutritious unprocessed food.

400bhp

Guru
My rant about 'pizza' b.s.

Pizza taste effin shiite right. All this b.s about pizza being tasty is just b.s. Mushrooms on melted cheese, WTF. Pepperoni, who the fack eats that on anything but a pizza. Losers. And you can shove those jalopenos (pronounced halopenos for those who want to eat pizza in a dumb posh restaurant like pizza hut or whatever).

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Hmm. I eat a lot of high quality calories and my N=1 experience is that it most certainly is possible to overeat. In fact it's just as easy to get fat on highly nutritious unprocessed food.
Out of interest, why do you eat high quality calories, if you believe that it is only the calorie deficit which is important, or do you perhaps agree with me, that quality of calories is extremely important too?

The meals I posted above, try them, and if you can overeat, I'll be amazed. 100g chicken/ turkey, 70 grams brown rice, 50 grams green vegetables, six times daily, substitute each constituent for alternatives from same groups (i.e. protein carb vegetable) for variety. It should come out at around 3,000 calories I think.

Oh, and it's clearly not as easy to get fat on unprocessed food, I'm sure you'd agree for example that transfats are extremely difficult for the body to process, and therefore very likely to make you fat, and you'll only find them in processed foods, not in natural.

Also on a high protein diet, you also benefit from the thermic effect of eating, which effectively elevates your metabolic rate (and makes you warm!) Further proving that all calories are not created equal! It's down to quality, group, and timing, as much as quantity.

PK99

Legendary Member
You can knock me all you like, but I think you can't really disagree with the point I'm making, that it's not as simple as 'a calorie is a calorie'. I'm pretty certain every person on this forum who's trying to lose weight, makes some sort of effort to ensure they ingest healthy calories. I'm just suggesting that in my opinion, and from what I've read and learned, it is perhaps more important to focus on quality of calories, than just focussing on quantity. Within reason of course, I'm not suggesting that you should overeat. However what I found, was that in focussing on high quality calories, I was eating a lot of food, and it was almost impossible to overeat.
As i have said several times without your seeming to notice, i have long had a diet of outstandingly good calories - but ate too many of them. Restricting my calorie intake on 2 days a week with no other changes of significance has take off 2 stones with no additional exercise.

Wrt why not a 1500 deficit? You seem to have missed the idea that long term gross deficits change metabolic rate AKA switching the body to starvation mode. It is you who has a hang up about a linear relationship, no one here is arguing there is. Another straw man of your own invention.

You rant against calorie counting yet advocate carb counting, protein counting and veg counting viz
6 x 100g protein, 70 grams carbs, and 50 grams vegetables, per day
do you not recognise that counting food components is a proxy for counting calories?

My approach to the 5:2 diet involves no ongoing calorie counting - I now know what a roughly 500 or 600 calorie meal looks like, and it does not matter if i am out by 100/200 calories sometimes as there is still a big deficit on that day and one day at a time does not kick the body into starvation mode.

VamP

Banned
Out of interest, why do you eat high quality calories, if you believe that it is only the calorie deficit which is important, or do you perhaps agree with me, that quality of calories is extremely important too?

The meals I posted above, try them, and if you can overeat, I'll be amazed. 100g chicken/ turkey, 70 grams brown rice, 50 grams green vegetables, six times daily, substitute each constituent for alternatives from same groups (i.e. protein carb vegetable) for variety. It should come out at around 3,000 calories I think.

Oh, and it's clearly not as easy to get fat on unprocessed food, I'm sure you'd agree for example that transfats are extremely difficult for the body to process, and therefore very likely to make you fat, and you'll only find them in processed foods, not in natural, natural fats.

Also on a high protein diet, you also benefit from the thermic effect of eating, which effectively elevates your metabolic rate (and makes you warm!) Further proving that all calories are not created equal! It's down to quality, group, and timing, as much as quantity.

Quality of food is important - that is such a trivial point that you'd be mad to think it merited a debate. What we are all laughing at is your assertion that calorie balance doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom