My rant about 'calorie deficit' b.s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Where? I did certainly question whether a puerile insult was the best response, and challenge him to answer the questions I had put, but I don't recall calling anybody stupid. I don't revert to personal insults, don't really find it necessary, or productive.
clearly it's too challenging for you to consider

I have tried to end this thread several times, all I can say is, if you really think calorie counting/ deficit works for you, then good on you, I'm happy for you, and wish you well.
Then leave it.

I'm suggesting another approach which worked for me. I'm not forcing anybody to read, or follow my advice, and don't see why anybody should attack me for offering it. If anybody wants to debate the ins and outs sensibly I'm happy to do so, since I've done a lot of research, if not, let's just drop the subject.
No. You've done nothing but preach whilst totally ignoring the significant success members of this forum have had doing precisely what it is you preach against, deficits/counting.

For someone who wants to sensibly debate, you don't bring it across well..

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Then leave it.

No. You've done nothing but preach whilst totally ignoring the significant success members of this forum have had doing precisely what it is you preach against, deficits/counting.

For someone who wants to sensibly debate, you don't bring it across well..

No.

I've raised questions on the calorie deficit theory, and nobody has seen fit to answer them. To debate, I need another party to engage, not just insult. How is giving my opinion preaching, and how is it worse than those who believe in the calorie deficit theory stating this as fact?

Oh, and I certainly haven't ignored the success member of the forum have had, I'm merely suggesting that what's worked for them has been more down to the quality of calories, not the quantity, along with the benefits of exercise.

To be honest, you get fat, because you eat too much, and usually of the wrong thing, so a substantial reduction in what you eat, along with an increase in exercise is bound to have a beneficial effect. Furthermore, I suspect most people who follow this approach, end up eating more healthily as well, all of which will work well. All I'm suggesting is that these are the solutions, and you don't have to long term, eat less than you need, since it will lead to unwanted consequences.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No.

I've raised questions on the calorie deficit theory, and nobody has seen fit to answer them. To debate, I need another party to engage, not just insult. How is giving my opinion preaching, and how is it worse than those who believe in the calorie deficit theory stating this as fact?
You aren't exactly inviting anyone to engage. Which says a lot, because I've been up to my neck in bullshit threads on here and even I can't be bothered.

vickster

Legendary Member
What was the question? :wacko: And what is the OP actually suggesting or trying to sell - not this banana nonsense again? Please enlighten us

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Your point is debunked by the many skinny alcoholics I know.

Not quite sure how? Surely they debunk the calorie deficit theory, since they ingest shedloads of calories, and they stay skinny. Really proves my point, that it's not down to the quantity of calories, but the quality. Different calories will have a different effect on the body.

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Booze not only has shed load of calories but your point was about the type of calories.... and yet they stay skinny? *

* Although not particulary healthy!

Exactly, I'm questioning the assertion that if you create a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, based on the assumption that a calorie is a calorie, and that there is a linear relationship between calories ingested, and weight gain/ loss.

vickster

Legendary Member
Exactly, I'm questioning the assertion that if you create a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, based on the assumption that a calorie is a calorie, and that there is a linear relationship between calories ingested, and weight gain/ loss.

What are you saying people should do? Is this another veganism/bananaism/fruitarian type thread?

PK99

Legendary Member
No.

I've raised questions on the calorie deficit theory, and nobody has seen fit to answer them. .

You were working to a Calorie deficit, 2500 Calories while working with a personal trainer IS almost certainly a deficit. Yes or no?

Would you care to restate your questions ?

do you dispute the folllowing NHS guidance:

An average man needs around 2,500 calories a day to maintain his weight. For an average woman, that figure is around 2,000 calories a day. These values can vary depending on age and levels of physical activity, among other factors.

What are calories?
Calories are a measure of how much energy food or drink contains. The amount of energy you need will depend on:

• your age: for example, growing children and teenagers may need more energy
  • your lifestyle: for example, how active you are
  • your size: your height and weight can affect how quickly you use energy
Other factors can also affect how much energy you burn, for example:

• some hormones (chemicals produced by the body): such as thyroid hormones
  • some medications: such as glucocorticoids (a type of steroid used to treat inflammation)
  • being unwell
Maintaining a healthy weight
To maintain a healthy weight, you need to balance the amount of calories you consume through food and drink with the amount of calories you burn through physical activity. To lose weight in a healthy way you need to use more energy than you consume by:

Download the 12-week weight loss guide (PDF).

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
What are you saying people should do? Is this another veganism/bananaism/fruitarian type thread?
You'd think so wouldn't you.

No, bizarrely I'm only suggesting that we should eat a balanced diet, avoiding highly processed foods. Not quite sure why it's so controversial! I'm sure there's no problem with a bit of cake, so long as it's carrot cake!^_^

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
You were working to a Calorie deficit, 2500 Calories while working with a personal trainer IS almost certainly a deficit. Yes or no?

Would you care to restate your questions ?

do you dispute the folllowing NHS guidance:

No, as I clarified, it used the 2,500 as a base, and was adjusted for exercise. I can't remember the exact calorie count, but bizarrely I can remember that it was basically 6 x 100g protein, 70 grams carbs, and 50 grams vegetables, per day. I suspect you'll find it comes out at around 3,000 calories.

And yes, I'm most certainly questioning the NHS guidelines. For four decades now we've been fed a load of B.S. about nutrition by the authorities, who have encouraged 'low fat' diets, which tend to encourage people to eat more processed food, which is usually higher in sugar, and much lower in nutritional value and actually makes them fatter. If you think the NHS guidelines are gospel, then take a look at how much success the NHS achieves in treating overweight and obesity through diet advice!

VamP

Banned
I love it when people revert to vitriol and personal insults rather than responding to reasonable questions. I acknowledge I've challenged a belief you're very attached to, and clearly it's too challenging for you to consider it sensibly. Good luck with your calorie counting, and try not to get too upset by people offering genuine well meant advice on internet forums!

(Here's a little link on why you should avoid stress!http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=53304)

Not sure where you're seeing vitriol?

We are all just having a good laugh. You have really not challenged anyone and it seems quite unlikely that you have anything challenging to bring to the party.

You do seem quite desperate to get you athletic accomplishment willy on the table though, so come on, entertain us :hello:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom